Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird CM9 discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Jabski View Post
    Oh for crying out loud, I know how to assemble my pistols, but thanks for the comment. It might not be as obvious in a picture, but the whole point is the upper ridge is semi compromised by the metal being deformed. My concern is that at some point it will slide off of the upper ridge due to recoil.
    ‘The pictures don’t do it justice. If you were to look at it in person you’d see what I mean. Look closely at the left side if the shelf. It’s close to being gone…
    This is not a high mileage pistol by any means. Had I shot the snot out of it, that ridge would be a whole lot worse.
    So how does yours look?
    If one considers that, once installed properly in the gun, the back of the guide rod is seated against the frame for it's intended operation, I see no reason to be concerned about that. You can verify this by putting just the barrel, slide stop and recoil spring assembly into the frame: moving the barrel to it's "locked and unlocked" positions will demonstrate that barrel lug is well out of contact with the end of the rod during operation.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    If one considers that, once installed properly in the gun, the back of the guide rod is seated against the frame for it's intended operation, I see no reason to be concerned about that. You can verify this by putting just the barrel, slide stop and recoil spring assembly into the frame: moving the barrel to it's "locked and unlocked" positions will demonstrate that barrel lug is well out of contact with the end of the rod during operation.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Welcome back stranger!
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    Welcome back stranger!
    Agreed! Haven't seen hide nor hair from Greg in a bit.

I too was ready to send out a QRF for Greg. Awfully nice to hear from you.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Jabski, take a look at vids (if you have not already) about how smith's tighten 1911 slides using a vice. Of course, easy does it. That's something I would try without qualms if a slide was loose to the point of bothering me.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Jabski, take a look at vids (if you have not already) about how smith's tighten 1911 slides using a vice. Of course, easy does it. That's something I would try without qualms if a slide was loose to the point of bothering me.
    Thanks. I do a lot of stuff myself and it’s funny you mention that.
    a few days back I was looking at it thinking that gently squeezing the dust cover portion of the frame could probably tighten thing up.
    Then I was thinking about how much I spent on this, and thought no, I can live with a sloppy fit. Especially since it’s given me no problems.
    I just can’t see how this is supposed to be “ within specs”( according to Kahr). I have had a LOT of pistols in my life and not once had one like this…
    Thanks for the tip though. Now I’m going to have to watch some of those videos anyway! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jabski View Post
    Thanks. I do a lot of stuff myself and it’s funny you mention that.
    a few days back I was looking at it thinking that gently squeezing the dust cover portion of the frame could probably tighten thing up.
    Then I was thinking about how much I spent on this, and thought no, I can live with a sloppy fit. Especially since it’s given me no problems.
    I just can’t see how this is supposed to be “ within specs”( according to Kahr). I have had a LOT of pistols in my life and not once had one like this…
    Thanks for the tip though. Now I’m going to have to watch some of those videos anyway! Lol
    Cool man! If you do end up doing something to tighten it up please keep us updated. It's not something I've ever done. I had found some free Wilson Combat 1911 build videos somewhere (I'd post a link if I knew) where they tightened the slde. I've just never had the need. Good luck with CM9 as well

Been there done that with a Gold Cup slide. A big vice on a bolted down bench and a long pipe to tighten the vice. They are tough to bend. Got a great fit out of it though. I was scared all of the time I was doing it but did not over tighten or mar the blueing.

You guys have more guts than I would. Gives me shivers just to think about it.

Agreed. I thought I had pretty big cojones taking a hacksaw to a corner of a few of my 1911's to make bobtails. There was a lot of finger crossing, some praying, and a little bit of drinking involved. I need more of all three to put the squeeze on in a vise, especially with a cheater bar. Me bonnets off to you lads.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."