Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hideous P9 serial number plate on grip!

Default Hideous P9 serial number plate on grip!

In looking at Kahr's website and the Sportsman's Warehouse website (where I ordered), the photos of the P9 look like my 16 year old P45... normal.

Imagine the nasty surprise when I went in the store to do paperwork on my freshly arrived P9 and see this butt-ugly shiny metal square imbedded in the grip.

WTF?!?!?!?

Does anyone know why on earth Kahr moved the serial number from the Glock-ish spot on the foreframe under the slide?

No wonder they don't show photos of it on their website... UGLY!!

Have they offered an explanation for the change?

Don't know but it can be easily hidden with a sleeve, or blacked out with paint or sharpie. Just don't take a dremel to it if you want to avoid a federal felony charge

When Kahr came out with a few models with rail they moved serial number to side of grip. Standardized manufacturing process on other models.
    On side note while Kahr moved to North East PA the polymer frames where still being manufactured in Worcester Mass. and then shipped to PA facility (machined components done here) for final assembly and distribution. The transition to manufacturing the frames in Greeley, PA has begun. Saw newly manufactured pistol at facility and the frame was stamped Kahr Arms Greeley, PA. Don’t need another Kahr pistol (have 6) but just may have to get one with local branding on it.

Thanks folks. The first thing I thought of when I saw that (and said to the guy in the store), the Sharpie is coming out soon as I get that home!

I thought the relatively new rail frame Kahr might have something to do with it, but Glock has had rails for ages, and somehow keeps their serial number plate discreetly out of the way.

I know how you feel. I think I would have to get some black touch up paint at the auto parts store and fill it in.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

While ugly, bear in mind it has to become legible if contacted by LE or SN needs to be verified for any reason. Sharpie comes off pretty easy I think.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Sharpie also makes paint pens, both water-based and oil based. I used them for a lot of things. A black oil based sharpie paint pen will cover the metal but leave the serial number intact and legible so you should be within confines of the law.

Really not sure why it matters, that thing is covered by my hand any time it matters...

Quote Originally Posted by IDisposable View Post
    Really not sure why it matters, that thing is covered by my hand any time it matters...
    Agreed. It's a dime a dozen polymer frame pistol that's not going to be very attractive or will be a heirloom to begin with. It's a tool that's going to spend It's life concealed in a holster. When it's taken out of the holster, the grip will be covered by the hand. In either case, not many are going to see it, and the placement of the serial number isn't going to have any affect on the tool doing what it's designed to do.

[EDIT] I Googled for a pic, and it's worse than I thought. I thought it was a small embedding in the grip. Either way, it is what it is. I wouldn't like it either, but it wouldn't be a big deal to me. I buy metal frame guns like 1911s, CZ75 variants, Kahr K series, Beretta 92 variants, Sig 226 variants, etc when I want something that looks good.

As soon as I'm allowed images, I'll post photos of the Sharpie'd offending serial number plate on the P9 I picked up today. It disappears pretty well.