CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PM 9 Incoming!!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Well that’s a bit scary. In a defense situation that could be really bad. Of course you would not want to carry with that ammo knowing that. Hope you can get it sorted out. Do you smack the bottom of the mag upward after insertion? Could need a different mag release spring, alteration of the mag window, or even a new mag release button. Something is allowing the mag window to disengage away from the mag release button.
    Since writing the above I had a chance to go on the Kahr website and saw that mag release buttons and springs are cheap and available, so I'm going to grab a set and eliminate those two parts as the culprits. I did a mag release swap on one of my Glocks, and it looks like the Kahr design is very similar. The job is not too complicated, even for a poor gunsmith like myself, but it is a bit of a PIA.

I’ve never shot +p out of my PM9 and use Sig V-Crown 124 grain for carry and have never had a problem but I also have a Beretta Pico .380 that had the loose magazine thing and every now and then the mag would drop but I solved the problem using a small piece of duct tape on the side of the magazine opposite the latch which tightened up the magazine fit and stopped the rattle and haven’t had any more problems with it dropping…..

Try it and see if it will help your PM9, if it works great but if not a new latch assembly which should be free from Kahr should fix it……..My first Kahr was a CW40 that the magazine fell out every 2-3 shots which is how I found this place looking for help and after getting the new latch it wasn’t hard to install and the problem was solved, still never liked .40 cal so traded it for my current PM9 and never looked back……Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    I’ve never shot +p out of my PM9 and use Sig V-Crown 124 grain for carry and have never had a problem but I also have a Beretta Pico .380 that had the loose magazine thing and every now and then the mag would drop but I solved the problem using a small piece of duct tape on the side of the magazine opposite the latch which tightened up the magazine fit and stopped the rattle and haven’t had any more problems with it dropping…..

Try it and see if it will help your PM9, if it works great but if not a new latch assembly which should be free from Kahr should fix it……..My first Kahr was a CW40 that the magazine fell out every 2-3 shots which is how I found this place looking for help and after getting the new latch it wasn’t hard to install and the problem was solved, still never liked .40 cal so traded it for my current PM9 and never looked back……Good luck!
    Thanks. Ingenious trick with the duct tape!

Yep, duct tape is Gods gift to mankind to fix most anything and it holds down the screaming pretty good too………

I regularly use Hornady +P 124gr XTP in my PM9, no issues, so IME +P should be fine (Kahr rates PM9 for +P etc).

Good luck solving the problem (the duck tape fix is indeed ingenious)!

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Since writing the above I had a chance to go on the Kahr website and saw that mag release buttons and springs are cheap and available, so I'm going to grab a set and eliminate those two parts as the culprits. I did a mag release swap on one of my Glocks, and it looks like the Kahr design is very similar. The job is not too complicated, even for a poor gunsmith like myself, but it is a bit of a PIA.
    Agreed! A relatively cheap and easy to do replacement.

So, I've got a follow-up report regarding my little problem child, the used PM9. Since last posting, I bought a new mag release catch and new mag release spring, and brought them to my local gunsmith for installation. Got it back this week, and just got back from putting another 60 or so rounds through it.

The results were another frustrating day. I had one FTF with the Underwood Xtreme Defender rounds, and a couple of instances of the magazine releasing while firing. One of the latter happened with Federal HST ammo, and another with Speer Gold Dot ammo. Lastly, I had one instance wherein the magazine emptied, the slide locked back, but the magazine was jammed in place and refused to drop...it was in so tightly that I needed a screwdriver to lever it out.

At this point I was ready to throw the pistol downrange, but I remembered that I'd also packed a couple of the extended magazines in my range bag, so I brought those out and ran through the same ammos again. This time there were absolutely ZERO failures. Which means either the standard mag is really the issue, or I just got lucky on the back half of my range time.

Anyway, I just got back and promptly ordered a new 6-round magazine directly from Kahr. If the PM9 continues to misbehave with the new magazine, I'll be selling this pistol at a steep discount to someone who is interested in tinkering with it. Because, at this point, I just don't have the patience for it.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    So, I've got a follow-up report regarding my little problem child, the used PM9. Since last posting, I bought a new mag release catch and new mag release spring, and brought them to my local gunsmith for installation. Got it back this week, and just got back from putting another 60 or so rounds through it.

The results were another frustrating day. I had one FTF with the Underwood Xtreme Defender rounds, and a couple of instances of the magazine releasing while firing. One of the latter happened with Federal HST ammo, and another with Speer Gold Dot ammo. Lastly, I had one instance wherein the magazine emptied, the slide locked back, but the magazine was jammed in place and refused to drop...it was in so tightly that I needed a screwdriver to lever it out.

At this point I was ready to throw the pistol downrange, but I remembered that I'd also packed a couple of the extended magazines in my range bag, so I brought those out and ran through the same ammos again. This time there were absolutely ZERO failures. Which means either the standard mag is really the issue, or I just got lucky on the back half of my range time.

Anyway, I just got back and promptly ordered a new 6-round magazine directly from Kahr. If the PM9 continues to misbehave with the new magazine, I'll be selling this pistol at a steep discount to someone who is interested in tinkering with it. Because, at this point, I just don't have the patience for it.
    Hopefully the new mag will fix it. I have had so many weird issues caused by magazines that frustrated me to no end and made no sense.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Hopefully the new mag will fix it. I have had so many weird issues caused by magazines that frustrated me to no end and made no sense.
    Same. One of the reasons I really prefer revolvers. Unfortunately, I tend to shoot semis better, and so here we are!

I'm sorry to hear about your PM9 Problems. A PM9 was my first Kahr over twenty years ago, but it was stolen along with fourteen other pistols in 2011. This forum was kind enough to buy me another one so other than a few weeks, I've always had a PM9. I've never had a problem with it, or any other Kahr for that matter. It's my only 9mm today so it's nearly always my pocket gun when I can't wear a holster for my MK40N or CM45.