Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CT9 modification questions

Why did Kahr move the SN tag from the dust cover to the grip frame? To me a guns looks are important and having a license plate on the grip is just butt ugly and a reason I would look at another pistol……..

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    Why did Kahr move the SN tag from the dust cover to the grip frame? To me a guns looks are important and having a license plate on the grip is just butt ugly and a reason I would look at another pistol……..
    Maybe it is to add some “bling” to the gun. Kinda like that newly released Black Cherry colored Desert Eagle.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Since we’re talking about single stack mags it seems obvious that the difference in height between an eight shot mag and a seven shot is the diameter of a 9mm round. Looking at that photo it doesn’t seem like there’s that much space between the bottom of the magwell and the bottom of the SN plate.

Wonder if I could just drop the CT9 slide onto my P9 frame?

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    The obvious answer is that it's probably cheaper and easier to put the plate there, rather than the dust cover.

Between this and the magazine angst thread, the strange priority of cosmetics over function makes my head spin. I thought we all got over that with the longevity of the Glock line, but I guess I was wrong. Who buys a plastic frame pistol for its good looks anyway?

just spit balling here; does the SN have to be on the grip? can it be engraved on the hood? how about moving the plate to the bottom of the dust cover with epoxy ?

That would be a question for the BATF. Personally I think it falls under the category of ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Usually much easier and certainly quicker that way.

One would also need to figure out a way to cover the unsightly spot where the original SN was located. A grip sleeve would work but it would also cover the SN so nothing gained.

I doubt they would allow engraving, probably a slim possibility, moving the plate would be ok.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I wouldn't assume that the BATF would give you a pass on moving the serial number plate. Moving it would have to begin with removing it - which would be a definite no-no. From the atf.gov website...

By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed....

BTW - covering the plate with a grip sleeve is a non-issue. It's not like it has to be read from a distance like a car's license plate.

Explanation….. I’m so sorry sir (or ma’am if it applies). I ran over the gun with the car by accident and the SN popped off. I had to fix the grip and place the SN back on the pistol at a place that I could get it to stay. It is right above where it was originally located. I also had the SN laser engraved on the slide just to make sure everything was like it outta be.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Visit here:

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Explanation….. I’m so sorry sir (or ma’am if it applies). I ran over the gun with the car by accident and the SN popped off. I had to fix the grip and place the SN back on the pistol at a place that I could get it to stay. It is right above where it was originally located. I also had the SN laser engraved on the slide just to make sure everything was like it outta be.

Yeah, that's creative. But you gotta realize who it is we're dealing with. The ATF is not your friend and doesn't want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeMe View Post
    Yeah, that's creative. But you gotta realize who it is we're dealing with. The ATF is not your friend and doesn't want to be.
    True, Funny how Biden and Kamala can play dumb and get away with it but we can’t.

Visit here: