Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: CM45 Performing light strikes and not firing even factory loads

Default CM45 Performing light strikes and not firing even factory loads

I have a CM45 that I have enjoyed for a couple of years. I don't fire it often however I do carry it. I have not had any issues with it until lately. Taking it to the range I noticed it not firing about every 3-4 rounds. I thought it was hard primers as it shows a strike on the primer but no fire. So I changed to factory ammo of FMJ. No change. Then I went to Hornaday Duty rounds and had much better results although I still had a few light strikes with that brand. It is unreliable enough I can't use it for a carry gun until I get it fixed. I always carry Hornaday or Sig ammo and it has issues with every brand I have used.
    Thoughts? The gun probably has a total of 750-1000 rounds through it. I also tried a field strip, clean and lube while I was at the range but no change.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd check to make sure the striker is intact and not broken. Don't hear of that much on the 45's but occasionally on the 9's and 380's. I'd probably order a Striker Spring and a recoil spring long as I was ordering, although the recoil spring isn't the issue.

This would require a detail strip of the slide to access the striker. You may find a bunch of gunk in the striker channel which would certainly cause these exact symptoms you mention.

There's a detailed post on how to do this. I'll have to look for it. One thing of note. When you do this, you need to depress the extractor channel to remove the back plate. The hole for this upper right hand corner of the back plate is deceiving. The actual access to the extractor channel is smaller than the hole appears. If you don't feel spring pressure as you push, your too big. I use a small jewelers screwdriver. Probably the smallest in the set.

Good luck, come on back if you need help.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Here's the first one I found. I think there's another. You have to go to about page 3 for the process. This it was Michigunr.
    It's a lot like a Glock. A Ripley retractor is quite handy. A little piece of coat hanger a member here invented. But it's not essential, just makes it easier.
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/de....308824/page-3
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I second what Bawanna said. If you have trouble after looking at the link he provided, let me know. I’m off the next few days and have been meaning to do a deep clean on my CW45. I have also been meaning to do a good pictorial of this for future assistance of others. If you can’t get it figured out with what Bawanna has provided then PM me and we’ll get it sorted out together.

Thank you everyone for your help. I will try it this weekend!!

You can still blow out the striker tunnel with chlorine free brake cleaner .... just stick the cleaner straw in the striker clean out hole in the underside of the slide and give it a couple of squirts. Unless you have factory metal shavings involved, the brake cleaner will remove all the gunk.

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Agreed! Unless as you say there are large metal shavings inside.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Contact Kahr! Tell them the issue and that you can replace any springs yourself! Chances are they'll send a recoil spring and possibly striker spring free of charge!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'd check to make sure the striker is intact and not broken. Don't hear of that much on the 45's but occasionally on the 9's and 380's. I'd probably order a Striker Spring and a recoil spring long as I was ordering, although the recoil spring isn't the issue.

This would require a detail strip of the slide to access the striker. You may find a bunch of gunk in the striker channel which would certainly cause these exact symptoms you mention.

There's a detailed post on how to do this. I'll have to look for it. One thing of note. When you do this, you need to depress the extractor channel to remove the back plate. The hole for this upper right hand corner of the back plate is deceiving. The actual access to the extractor channel is smaller than the hole appears. If you don't feel spring pressure as you push, your too big. I use a small jewelers screwdriver. Probably the smallest in the set.

Good luck, come on back if you need help.
    Totally agree, I take mine down and clean the striker channel on most of my guns. Yes, they can get metal shaving and full of gunk or crude or metal shaving. Kahr's do seem a little more difficult than others to take down, but once you get use to it, fairly simple. I also order a few parts to keep as spares, you know, the ones like that little Pin that can get away from ya quick. I also keep a recoil spring as a spare etc. I would call Kahr and get the parts now, even though after breaking down there is no issue but cleaning.,