CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W, pistol, talk me out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Says 3 feet on the bottom of the target. Probably more like 125 yards I'd say.
    You added that 3 feet. I always shoot at twelve yards unless otherwise noted. I consider that the limit of defensive shooting.

I didn't realize that was your same target, I didn't add anything, must have been Jeepster. Yeah, blame it on Jeepster.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I've been shooting .40 cal. almost exclusively for ages. Most of the handguns I've owned have been in .40 cal. I've never had a problem finding ammo. I've always enjoyed shooting forty. Currently own an HK in .40 and it's been my most accurate firearm to date. I don't care what any6one says. I've done my own ammo testing and it's a nasty caliber indeed. If you want a .40, get a .40. Personally, I would probably choose something other than a Kahr. There are other models that I believe handle the recoil much better. Yeah, you should have jumped on that CZ. Wouldn't mind having one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I didn't realize that was your same target, I didn't add anything, must have been Jeepster. Yeah, blame it on Jeepster.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I've been shooting .40 cal. almost exclusively for ages. Most of the handguns I've owned have been in .40 cal. I've never had a problem finding ammo. I've always enjoyed shooting forty. Currently own an HK in .40 and it's been my most accurate firearm to date. I don't care what any6one says. I've done my own ammo testing and it's a nasty caliber indeed. If you want a .40, get a .40. Personally, I would probably choose something other than a Kahr. There are other models that I believe handle the recoil much better. Yeah, you should have jumped on that CZ. Wouldn't mind having one myself.
    Any make/model recommendations?
    The LGS had a Bersa .40 but did not excite me. Still looking.
    Gun Broker has a lot of M&P's, and Taurus models.

On another note, size wise, how does a P40 Kahr compare to a K40?
    NRA Benefactor

Beretta PX4 Storm or 8040 Cougar both have rotating barrels which helps mitigate felt recoil. My Cougar is the softest shooting 40 I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Any make/model recommendations?
    The LGS had a Bersa .40 but did not excite me. Still looking.
    Gun Broker has a lot of M&P's, and Taurus models.

On another note, size wise, how does a P40 Kahr compare to a K40?
    I've owned an M&P in .40. Shot
    nice but couldn't warm up to the trigger. I have an HK P2000SK that is my .40 of choice. Weighs about the same as my Ruger revolver. Prefer V3 trigger, DA/SA. Big Dot's. Plenty of them in 9mm, but fewer in .40. Plenty of trigger options. I've settled in with it for main carry along with my revolver. Found myself drifting further away from striker fired handguns. I would also consider a Beretta 96 compact. As mentioned, even though a bit harder to find, an 8040 Cougar is a nice firearm. Otherwise, a revolver in .40 could be interesting.

Buy one! I'll be your enabler!
    I carried a 40 for 22 years at work.

The 229 i used before we switched to a 9mm M&P is the most accurate semi auto I've owned. My 40 M&P is also very accurate.

I've found the energy on target is much greater than a 9mm, and for me, the recoil isn't that much greater than the parabellum. Ammo is plentiful in lean times and certainly cheaper that other alternatives like 45ACP.

I've never shot a 40 Kahr, but can't imagine the steel frames have harsh recoil. I'd love to have a K or T 40!

Before you can answer your question on which one to get, decide its purpose... if a full size for range fun or home, I'd suggest a Sig 226 or 229, or the also excellent 2340. The Beretta 96 is also a great gun!

I've found the Glock 40s recoil MUCH more than the other plastic fantastics like the 320, 250 or M&P. My top recommendation for a plastic 40 is the Sig 250... great ergonomics, good capacity, VERY similar trigger to a Kahr and magazines and holsters are plentiful thanks to the ubiquitous 320.

For Home defense I use my HK USP 40. It's too big to carry and with 14 rounds is quite heavy, but it has excellent night sites. I could use my SIG220 as it's also large and has new night sites, but only holds eight rounds. Plus the 220 is polished SS and considered somewhat a classic since they only built them in '95 and '96.

As far as carry pistols go, I usually stick with either a MK40N or CM45 or my PM9 for the pocket. I have other pistols that are small for an inside the waistband holster, but after nearly twenty years, I've grown to really like and trust Kahrs.

Have you decided, Kenemoore?