Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster?

Well a chest rig does not look very concealable. Looks good as an option while driving though.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I have often thought of purchasing a shoulder rig, but in my old age, my gut has grown. Not sure, an old fat fart, could reach across his belly to grab a gun.
    Any fat boy shoulder wearers out there? Inquiring minds want to know.
    NRA Benefactor

I have often thought of purchasing a shoulder rig, but in my old age, my gut has grown. Not sure, an old fat fart, could reach across his belly to grab a gun.
    Any fat boy shoulder wearers out there? Inquiring minds want to know.
    NRA Benefactor

I like a Galco, the PM9 hides very well. The more expensive Miami vice models seem nice, so I got the cheaper lite version from them. Liked it so much I got ones for other models and versions. Take your time before cutting the straps, adjust it a bunch before you find where it is perfect! It rides higher up above any 6-pack or keg you may be sporting. Button up shirt with an undershirt works well.

I've used several shoulder rigs of a couple different brands over the years. I think Galco is one of the best quality for the price and offers a wide variety. The Miami Classic and the streamlined Half Harness are my favorites. I quickly came to realize that smaller, lighter guns were the only way to carry all day with any hope of comfort. Large guns are actually hard to keep from printing IMHO unless worn low and near the belt line. Smaller guns can go higher.

Whatever you get, I'd advise getting a rig with a large amount of support on the carry side, add a tie-down to keep it from bouncing around on your ribs and take the time to fit it properly, (which can take some experimenting). Go in knowing that most holsters fit quite snuggly and may require a firm yank to unholster. That said quality leather is a must. Horse hide if possible.

The best I've ever bought is the Galco Executive, which I gave to my brother. Of course, Galco dropped the Executive and I'm out of luck. At least he's a good brother.

Good luck with your hunt.
    Last edited by ripley16; 11-02-2023 at 02:22 PM.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I use a shoulder holster occasionally (Galco Classic Lite for the Kahr CW45, Galco Miami Classic for a S&W M2.040 FS). I changed out both shoulder straps for ultra-wide Galco shoulder straps (worth their weight in gold IMO). It takes one to two weeks of wearing for the straps to mold to the body. I also replaced the single mag carrier on the Classic Lite with a double mag carrier.

Pros: When adjusted to sit the firearm/mags up high by the armpits, it doesn't need a belt tie down and is very secure. Easily accessible when driving. Does not hinder more intensive activities like working on your back under vehicles or print when picking up gravel/soil/salt bags or the like. Can use mag holders for other gear, e.g. flashlight. With practice, one can put the holster on in a few seconds.

Downsides: Muzzle sweeps in horizontal position. Needs a heavy, thick winter coat to eliminate printing. Even with a thick, baggy, zippered sweater (or form fitting jacket) it looks like I'm carrying a paperback book under each arm.

I've got an Alessi shoulder rig for both my 1911, and my Kahrs. Sadly, shortly after I received this holster, Alessi went out of business. I had to wait nearly 9 months for this holster, but it was worth it. It is very similar to the Galco Miami Classic.

I will wear it when I'm traveling... where the seat belt and possibly a coat could hinder access to my pistol, it's much easier to just have my jacket partially unzipped while driving and be able to access my pistol without having to lurch around... and drawing from the holster puts the weapon immediately on the threat (assuming I'm seated and there is someone at the driver's window, etc. I don't wear it any other time... even the relatively light weight of the Kahr starts to tax my neck and shoulders after a while, and after 18 hours in the saddle, driving Texas to Nevada, it feels like it weighs 100#'s.

All this shoulder holster talk has me thinking about a Miami classic rig I bought more than 10 years ago and never warmed up to it. I have a 1911 holster and a CM9 holster for it. Found with a little stretching the Sig p365 fits the cm9 holster. I’m going have to try this again since it’s getting cooler outside and as I’m getting older waist carry just ain’t as comfortable as it used to be.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie98 View Post
    I've got an Alessi shoulder rig for both my 1911, and my Kahrs. Sadly, shortly after I received this holster, Alessi went out of business. I had to wait nearly 9 months for this holster, but it was worth it. It is very similar to the Galco Miami Classic.

I will wear it when I'm traveling... where the seat belt and possibly a coat could hinder access to my pistol, it's much easier to just have my jacket partially unzipped while driving and be able to access my pistol without having to lurch around... and drawing from the holster puts the weapon immediately on the threat (assuming I'm seated and there is someone at the driver's window, etc. I don't wear it any other time... even the relatively light weight of the Kahr starts to tax my neck and shoulders after a while, and after 18 hours in the saddle, driving Texas to Nevada, it feels like it weighs 100#'s.

What got me was the neck and shoulders thing you mention. I used to carry all the time in the Galco (1911) but it got to where after a little bit I'd be nearly paralyzed from the neck up. Wait, that explains alot huh? I liked it but even with the wide strap it just got to my neck. Used to where a vertical shoulder rig with my 44 mag back in my hunting days. Had some padding sewn into the shoulder piece. That worked ok as it was supported at the belt as well. Not practical for everyday carry of course.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Back many years ago I carried a S&W Model 19 in a Safariland vertical shoulder holster, it was what was recommended while working plain clothes court duty. It concealed the M19 quite well was reasonably comfortable but as others have stated the weight did lend a factor of fatigue especially in the neck area. We had to wear a sport jacket and were required to carry a minimum of 2 reloads. I wore a Bianchi horizontal shoulder holster when doing prisoner transportation, it was very comfortable as I was carrying a 1911 at that time. One of the most comfortable shoulder holster I have ever worn was an upside down
    clamshell affair that retained the 3" S&W Model 65 elastically, it worked great was light and quick to get into action. We were eventually banned from using shoulder holsters as there were gun safety rules that were violated and that is how it goes.