CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster?

Default Shoulder Holster?

Anyone use a shoulder holster? I am thinking of trying one for cold weather use with my Sig P226. I do carry it IWB, but it is on the large size for that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

One with rail and one without.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I used to wear a shoulder holster all the time but for some reason it started messing with with my should and neck. After a few hours my head didn't want to turn anymore.
    Maybe I was turning wuss at that point, don't know. Might be ok with a lighter gun. Was carrying a 1911 with two mags on the off side.
    Back in my hunting days I carried a Ruger 44 mag in the shoulder rig, but vertical and attached at the belt which helped support it. I had padding added to the shoulder area.
    For awhile I went cowboy rig. That's probably the worst thing about being stuck in a chair, can't wear a cowboy belt and holster. I really liked those.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

How about a cross draw Colonel? I use them quite often when in the car. And for smaller guns especially they work quite well.

I have some shoulder holsters but since I broke my collarbone and having it heal with a gnarly bump right were the strap rides I can't wear them anymore. I do have a chest holster I wear while out on my bike. I had the guy make it so that I can wear it off the right shoulder, yet still with a right hand draw. I put my Sig P938 in it most of the time but it will hold most small holsters so it would be a simple matter to set it up for another gun.

If you look closely at this picture you can see where my collarbone is sticking up on my left side, at about the same level as the front of my neck. I broke it at both ends back on 2009. It didn't heal well, and does cause me to have neck pain now, just like you're describing. Doctor said back then that at some point I might have to have it addressed for that very reason.

The DeSantis mini scabbard holsters slide right onto the retaining strap on this, but any holster with a single belt slot would likely work.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    How about a cross draw Colonel? I use them quite often when in the car. And for smaller guns especially they work quite well.

I have some shoulder holsters but since I broke my collarbone and having it heal with a gnarly bump right were the strap rides I can't wear them anymore. I do have a chest holster I wear while out on my bike. I had the guy make it so that I can wear it off the right shoulder, yet still with a right hand draw. I put my Sig P938 in it most of the time but it will hold most small holsters so it would be a simple matter to set it up for another gun.

If you look closely at this picture you can see where my collarbone is sticking up on my left side, at about the same level as the front of my neck. I broke it at both ends back on 2009. It didn't heal well, and does cause me to have neck pain now, just like you're describing. Doctor said back then that at some point I might have to have it addressed for that very reason.

The DeSantis mini scabbard holsters slide right onto the retaining strap on this, but any holster with a single belt slot would likely work.
    I like that carry rig.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

When I first started carrying a gun it was almost always cross draw. I worked in a tool warehouse where as usual I wasn't allowed to carry. Cross draw made it so I could tell right off if I was printing, plus it kept the gun out of my way handling stuff. I moved it around some everywhere from about 7 oclock to 11. Everyone there knew I had it, general manager often times joked around and patted me down, but he never caught it, always in front or behind it. He's just say good boy and walk away.
    It was a big warehouse with a small customer showroom. Customers had to be with a salesman to go in the warehouse but still had considerable shoplift attempts.
    Funny thing, no guns allowed but every time there was a questionable situation, they'd call me to where it was happening. Me and the general manager chased one guy about 3 blocks and caught him. I'm sure he took very expensive Ingersoll Rand air tools but manager didn't call police and wouldn't let me pat him down. I found the empty boxes later.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    I like that carry rig.
    I only use it on my bike. That's about the only time I have a jacket on that's zipped all the way up, and it stays that way until I take it off. But if I still went into the woods I wouldn't hesitate to use it, or another like it for a larger pistol. Chest carrying is about as comfortable and handy as it gets.

Seems like your chair could offer a stable and ideal platform for mounting a holster Colonel. Maybe down along the left hand side (inside the armrest and next to you) so you could crossdraw from it? Alternatively, they make holsters for car seats now that anchor to the seat and hang down in front of it. I made one for my truck. If you have a way to anchor one to the back of your seat and want to send me some measurements I'd be happy to make one for you. I have mil-spec 1000 denier cordura that I used for the one in my truck. You sit on the part that's under you and there are pouches in the front that hang down between and behind your knees to hold your gun. I tie mine around the seat where the back meets the bottom to keep it in place. On mine I also have a flap that covers just the top of the pouches but is easily moved aside if I need to grab the gun. I'm sure we could come up with one to hold your CBob if you wanted.

I've hung guns on the chair and in my little front and back packs but I decided if a situation came where I had to get out of the chair, I want the gun to go with me, not stay behind with the chair.
    When I was a walking carpenter I had a 3rd nail bag hanging at 6 oclock with a flap over it. I kept my 1911 in that pouch. Kept the saw dust out but was easily reachable. When I took off the belt it went into a cross draw position. Guess I was kind of obsessed with keeping a gun handy. I used to put the gun in a double zip lock back in the shower till the wife pointed out I couldn't hear a grenade go off without my hearing aid, after that it seemed rather pointless.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I've hung guns on the chair and in my little front and back packs but I decided if a situation came where I had to get out of the chair, I want the gun to go with me, not stay behind with the chair.
    When I was a walking carpenter I had a 3rd nail bag hanging at 6 oclock with a flap over it. I kept my 1911 in that pouch. Kept the saw dust out but was easily reachable. When I took off the belt it went into a cross draw position. Guess I was kind of obsessed with keeping a gun handy. I used to put the gun in a double zip lock back in the shower till the wife pointed out I couldn't hear a grenade go off without my hearing aid, after that it seemed rather pointless.
    I'm closing in you fast on that Colonel.