Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7+1 Capacity Possible in K9 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Rego View Post
    I was just curious if the friction of a full seven round mag under a chambered round in a K9 might pose a reliability issue since the owners manual didn't say one way or another. I'll have to try it a few times at the range just to be sure.
    Fear not. I carry 8+1 all the time in the K9 or P9, and have never had a problem. When I go to the range, that carry load gets shot some time before I leave. I often will load it again with range ammo 8+1 for more practice. It's just not an issue. As already mentioned, it's easier to load one in the mag and chamber that first, then load seven in the mag and then insert the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Rego View Post
    I'm not one of those guys that needs to carry a hi capacity autoloader with two spare 15 round mags, a Surefire light and a Spyderco clipped to my pocket every time I leave the house for a milk run.

One spare mag is fine. I have at times carried a Lightweight Commander .45 with one in the chamber and a full seven round mag. I have never trusted the 8 round 1911 type mags and dislike any mags that have extended baseplates. Heck, I have even pocket carried a shrouded hammer 5 shot J frame without a speedloader at times when I just needed to grab a gun and go.

I was just curious if the friction of a full seven round mag under a chambered round in a K9 might pose a reliability issue since the owners manual didn't say one way or another. I'll have to try it a few times at the range just to be sure.
    I've used the Wilson 47D 8 round mag exclusively in my 1911's for years. Most of my factory mags never even been shot. A few I did just to see if they work but don't really matter they always get the Wilson's. Never an issue.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I shoot my CM9 EDC in IDPA bug also; IDPA stages are set up to be revolver friendly and the trick is to avoid static reloads , even if it means a extra shot on a target . the REAL pleasure is seeing how shooters with a longer sight radius marvel at how well the "short"( your trigger finger is almost as long as the slide!!comments) guns can shoot , especially if you outscore them.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER

Quote Originally Posted by bugs View Post
    I shoot my CM9 EDC in IDPA bug also; IDPA stages are set up to be revolver friendly and the trick is to avoid static reloads , even if it means a extra shot on a target . the REAL pleasure is seeing how shooters with a longer sight radius marvel at how well the "short"( your trigger finger is almost as long as the slide!!comments) guns can shoot , especially if you outscore them.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER
    It really is interesting to see how some shooter's that have become proficient with a short barrel firearm can get them to perform so well. And one thing I believe is that shooters that learn and become proficient with a DA trigger seem to never want to go to back to anything but one.

I think the last time I shot a full-size handgun was 2010. Since then, I've only shot what I consider to be "carry" size guns. Those little pocket rockets amazed me with their accuracy the first time I got a chance to shoot one. I don't carry one myself, but I can see why people like them. Even with their mediocre sights, they can shoot well. I always rack one, then top off the mag. Always done it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    It really is interesting to see how some shooter's that have become proficient with a short barrel firearm can get them to perform so well. And one thing I believe is that shooters that learn and become proficient with a DA trigger seem to never want to go to back to anything but one.
    Not exactly on topic King but I think there are more than a single reason why DA shooters stick with them. And one of them is the inherent safety factor. Think back to how many times you've heard someone express discomfort and/or worry about the thought of carrying a firearm (eg 1911), "cocked and locked". And how so many of those people and millions of others now carry SA striker guns without a "lock". This never ceases to amaze me.

BTW I've been meaning to ask you. Are you a James Clavell fan?

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Not exactly on topic King but I think there are more than a single reason why DA shooters stick with them. And one of them is the inherent safety factor. Think back to how many times you've heard someone express discomfort and/or worry about the thought of carrying a firearm (eg 1911), "cocked and locked". And how so many of those people and millions of others now carry SA striker guns without a "lock". This never ceases to amaze me.

BTW I've been meaning to ask you. Are you a James Clavell fan?
    I could not agree more. It totally amazes me. I have seen newbies come to the LGS and telling the clerk that he wants the lightest trigger and oh yes, the shortest reset. The internet has done a great marketing job with this. I remember a Hickcock45 review talking about a new Micro 9mm and for folks to be careful because of the light trigger then saying "Some of these trigger are so light, they are almost like target gun".

If I’m not mistaken the late Todd Green mentioned above is the guy that took a HK P30 to near 100,000 rounds in about a year. He knows a little bit about pistol shooting I’d say.

By the way the P30 story is interesting if anyone likes to read those kind of things. I think it was posted on pistoltraining.com .
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

My observation regarding triggers is that if you train to competence on the DAO trigger system (revolver or pistol), you can shoot anything pretty well. I can and do go back and forth with the Kahr, DA revolvers, and SA pistols. But I prefer my SA pistols to have a light trigger and a manual safety. And I also do prefer my K9 over everything else.

I also think it's peculiar how the crowd seems to be gravitating to short stroke short reset triggers with no manual safety. In fact, Miculek pretty much proves that it's a case of the masses attempting to find a hardware cure for a software problem.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeMe View Post
    My observation regarding triggers is that if you train to competence on the DAO trigger system (revolver or pistol), you can shoot anything pretty well. I can and do go back and forth with the Kahr, DA revolvers, and SA pistols. But I prefer my SA pistols to have a light trigger and a manual safety. And I also do prefer my K9 over everything else.

I also think it's peculiar how the crowd seems to be gravitating to short stroke short reset triggers with no manual safety. In fact, Miculek pretty much proves that it's a case of the masses attempting to find a hardware cure for a software problem.

"Miculek pretty much proves that it's a case of the masses attempting to find a hardware cure for a software problem."
    Good quote, will have to remember that one.