Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bullet failed to fire

piercing a primer is bad. None of the rounds pictured have been pierced.

have you inspected your striker? Your primer strike does appear to be broader than most. The ammo maker’s strikes look more like normal primer strikes should look to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaleman View Post
    I just think I need to be very careful about not mentioning the name of the company. I sent the rounds all back. I have no proof of any defective rounds. They have told me in writing that everything tested fine and it must be my gun. Yes, I have the picture I posted. The picture does NOT show the bullet still in the case. If I would be asked on the stand if I could take a new round apart and install a used primer and put it back together I would have to say yes. I have a Corvette. I got in a giant debate on a Corvette forum explaining how collector car insurance is a huge scam. It was like a 300 post thread. I was quoting sections of their policy. Next Monday morning I had a very mean call from a law firm representing that insurance company. I am 71 and do not have the money to fight a major company. I hope this explains where I am at. Thanks for reading. Dan EDIT: If you look carefully at the picture they sent me showing my failed round and two rounds from my batch that I sent back and supposedly worked fine you will notice while my round is a .380 both of the rounds that worked perfectly are 9mm.
    Your doing the right thing, most would not do so. I didn't catch the 380/9mm difference, that's kind of weird. Every instance of a failed cartridge returned to a manufacturer I've ever heard of personally has resulted in basically the same response. Must be your gun. As dept armorer in the past I saw a lot of ammo. I found boxes with primers upside down. I found boxes of 45 with 40 mixed in. Not often thank goodness but stuff happens.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I see one .380 acp Starline case and two 9mm Luger Starline cases ...
    That .380 round wasn't attempted to be fired in a 9mm pistol was it?

jd

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

No. My P380.

Hi Dan, we did run some testing on your returned ammunition. I’m going to attach a picture I took of 2 of the bullets we shot, and the primer of one of the bullets you shot. As you’ll notice, there’s a clear distinction between the primer strikes. Our bullets are on the left, and we removed your primer and it’s sitting on top of the right side. Your strike more ‘collapses’ the primer, where our two actually penetrate. There may be an issue with your pin.
    We tested the powder and the projectile and that was our only conclusion.

Here is the email I received cut and pasted. Name and company are redacted. I had asked what the problem was not expecting an answer. When I posted the picture it moved 90 degrees that why he says left and right. Dan

came out green and I can't seem to change it. Dan

we did run some testing on your returned ammunition. I’m going to attach a picture I took of 2 of the bullets we shot

NOT TRUE!!!! This is a complete lie as I returned .380. Dan

would the pierced primer be caused by the double strike as it was the one that failed you ? just guessing .

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER

Quote Originally Posted by bugs View Post
    would the pierced primer be caused by the double strike as it was the one that failed you ? just guessing .

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER
    The so called pierced primer was on the two bullets they shot. They said they were from the ones I returned. They were not as they are the wrong caliber. The one I sent is not pierced and was not struck twice. Dan

I think they just used poor word choice, saying "penetrated". But - and this is a big but - all they're showing is the typical difference between what a primers looks like when the round is fired and when the round fails to fire. I have a dud .45acp round here that looks just like that unfired .380. It was cycled through my 1911 that is in perfect order and has never had another failure to fire. When a round fires, pressure holds it against the breech momentarily, which causes the primer to form perfectly around the face of the firing pin as those two 9mm rounds show. When it fails to fire, you get the rounded "caved in" look every time. Someone there is either lying to you or doesn't know what the heck they're talking about.

Interesting that they didn't claim to have put your dud round in their gun and successfully fired it. Having said that - have you checked to be sure your striker and its channel are clean?