Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace

Thread: Brand new MK9 today and found plastic captured guide rod broken

Question Brand new MK9 today and found plastic captured guide rod broken

This is my first Kahr, and I just got home from my FFL with it after waiting 10 days. I read the manual and took it apart. When I got the slide off, I saw that the metal disc at the end of the black plastic guide rod at the barrel lug was wobbling.
    As this is my fist car I didn't think much of it but when I removed the assembly from the slide I noticed that the end of the plastic rod where the metal disk was broken at the tip and two small pieces fell out. Is this a common issue with new MK9's or am I just one unlucky SOB? I see on the Kahr website that they sell a stainless guide rod as an upgrade. I would have thought that buying the premium MK model it would have come with the stainless guide rod. Guess I thought wrong.
    I'm going to call Kahr Customer Service tomorrow. Does Kahr have a good reputation for dealing with warranty issues?

Most have good results with customer service. Call but if you have trouble, send an email. Explain just what you found and I'd ask if they'd send you a stainless one for the trouble.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Called Kahr this morning and only had to wait a minute for the CS rep to get to me. I told them my story and the CS rep, "Mark" asked me to send an email describing the breakage and to include a pic. He said he would get approval to send me a replacement recoil spring assembly under warranty. So far the CS seems very good.

Got the replacement guide rod /spring unit in 4 days from Kahr. Installed it and took it to the range. The gun shot great! Very accurate and I love the trigger! I shot a total of 40 Sig, Remington, and Federal high velocity defense rounds. However, when I got home I did a simple filed strip of the gun to clean the barrel and frame. I took the slide off, then the new captured recoil spring/guide rod assembly then the barrel. While I got my snake out to snake the barrel, the captured recoil spring / guide rod came apart sending the capture disk at the lug end of the guide rod across the garage. I picked up the guide rod and this time instead of it having two broken pieces at the end, the end was cracked, which released the end cap and sent it flying. I called Kahr once again and they sent me another guide rod assembly. I also took advice from others on the forum who said to replace the Kahr unit with the Wolff Springs replacement unit which is non captured. Well, I got that today and installed it. Wasn't hard to install, but when I reassembled the gun, the muzzle end of the metal guide rod sleeve sticks out 1/4 inch from the frame and when I try to slide the slide back to lock it back, it won't let me slide the slide all the way back to engage the slide lock! Now I have to call Wolff tomorrow to ask for their assistance. Their unit is advertised to fit the MK9. Has anyone had the Wolff unit and needed to cut a few coil springs to make it work? Thanks in advance.

I replaced an original guide rod and spring with a Wollf set up in an MK9. No issues.

Well, after disassembling and reassembling the Wolff guide rod assembly unit for the 4th time, it now fits flush with the end of the slide. It must have been hanging up somewhere in the slide, but all is good in the hood now! I do like that the rod is metal rather than the Kahr plastic unit. Thanks for all the responses.

Hi Frank1137 and welcome to Kahrtalk, sorry you had problems with your new MK but I think you fixed it with the SS guide rod but you shouldn’t have had to go through problems like that with a premium Kahr pistol but it happens, I went through it with a CW40 that was possessed before giving up on it but once you find Kahr perfection in a pistol you have found a keeper…….Now you have a perfect gun that unfortunately you had to work on but it’s one you will enjoy and you will be confident carrying……Again welcome to the forum, lots of good folks hang out here………

Thanks getsome. It was indeed an interesting and frustrating journey getting the MK9 going, but rewarding in the end and I wasn't going to give up on it. This gun just feels so good and natural in my hand unlike all my other ones. I'll be going to the range next week to check out the functionality and reliability of the new Wolff set up. Thinking positive.

Keep a good grip and stay away from Fiocchi ammo.................