Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry Of A P380 vs PM9

Default Pocket Carry Of A P380 vs PM9

I own both and enjoy them both. I find myself carrying the 380 while walking around the house, gardening, at night point at the fire pit, etc. I've alternated carrying each of them at work as my BUG in a left front pocket holster.

I just got back from the range today practicing with both drawing from that same pocket holster with quick shots. Try as I may, I'm just not as comfortable with the 380 versus the 9 and I think the majority of it is the size of the gun itself. I found myself hesitating while lining up the shot whether I'm using the nightsites or the CT laser. I don't want to get rid of either one, but I really don't need both.
    I've tried several drills and practiced, but I just can't warm up to the 380 to the same comfort level as the 9.

Any suggestions? Somebody want to relieve me of the conflict and buy my P380?

My P380 is my no excuses gun. I don't wear speedos so there's really no excuse why it can't be carried when nothing else works. By the same token though I won't give up my PM9 before most everything else was gone.
    Remember, if you had to draw either you'll likely be facing someone only steps away. In that case you're not going to have time to line up a shot anyway. And the sight of a gun in your hand, any gun at all, just might be enough to descalate the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by iWander View Post
    I own both and enjoy them both. I find myself carrying the 380 while walking around the house, gardening, at night point at the fire pit, etc. I've alternated carrying each of them at work as my BUG in a left front pocket holster.

I just got back from the range today practicing with both drawing from that same pocket holster with quick shots. Try as I may, I'm just not as comfortable with the 380 versus the 9 and I think the majority of it is the size of the gun itself. I found myself hesitating while lining up the shot whether I'm using the nightsites or the CT laser. I don't want to get rid of either one, but I really don't need both.
    I've tried several drills and practiced, but I just can't warm up to the 380 to the same comfort level as the 9.

Even though my preference would be the 9, I probably wouldn't own either. Nothing wrong with them, just not my cup o tea right now. Saying that, unless you're destitute, don't sell either one. Don't do it. Ask anyone here, regret is a cruel woman. They both serve a different purpose for you and that's what most strive for. That's why you need different firearms for different jobs. Besides, they're like breasts. Once you've seen one.....well, you want to see the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Even though my preference would be the 9, I probably wouldn't own either. Nothing wrong with them, just not my cup o tea right now. Saying that, unless you're destitute, don't sell either one. Don't do it. Ask anyone here, regret is a cruel woman. They both serve a different purpose for you and that's what most strive for. That's why you need different firearms for different jobs. Besides, they're like breasts. Once you've seen one.....well, you want to see the rest.
    Agreed! But unlike guns, I'm happy only seeing a single pair... however, I want to play with that pair all day, caress them...

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    My P380 is my no excuses gun. I don't wear speedos so there's really no excuse why it can't be carried when nothing else works. By the same token though I won't give up my PM9 before most everything else was gone.
    Remember, if you had to draw either you'll likely be facing someone only steps away. In that case you're not going to have time to line up a shot anyway. And the sight of a gun in your hand, any gun at all, just might be enough to descalate the situation.
    Excellent point, however I have to use the sights and shoot quickly up to 50' away for qualification...
    Last edited by iWander; 05-11-2023 at 05:12 PM.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were on California's 'approved' roster. Our only option is this:

Excellent point, however I have to use the sights and shoot quickly up to 50' away for qualification...
    Just out of curiosity, what are you qualifying for? Is that for your State's CCW permit?

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are you qualifying for? Is that for your State's CCW permit?
    PD qualification. We have to qualify with any guns carried on or off duty. The current course is only 25 rounds, from 3-50' with one-handed shooting and reloading. When I started in the mid-90's, it was 50rds from 3-75' and also included moving, barricades and multiple targets.

Not sure if a hogue handall jr would fit on the 380 but it may help. I have one on my cm9 and it helps a lot.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

PD qualification. We have to qualify with any guns carried on or off duty. The current course is only 25 rounds, from 3-50' with one-handed shooting and reloading. When I started in the mid-90's, it was 50rds from 3-75' and also included moving, barricades and multiple targets.
    Thanks. That's a pretty tough row to hoe with a pistol that has less than a 3" barrel. Seems that a backup gun would be expected to be used from close quarters, but I can see where it might have to reach out further. Good luck!

Oh, and thank you for trying to keep the world a bit safer. Your service is appreciated.