Xssights   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are 2023 P380's and CW380's reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    My post from 2011:
    The firing pin on my P380 broke at about 900 rounds. I seldom would dry fire with out a snap cap. I don't like the fact Kahr's design does not incorporate a striker rebound spring. Kahr CS sent a new part ASAP.

At about 2600 rounds the P380 extractor broke while at the range. Kahr CS replaced it but gave me a hard time claiming I was using poor ammo. I guess Blazer Brass, WWB and Federal is not good enough.

Attached Images

Interesting. I do see that was over 10 yrs ago. The good news, if you owned a LCP you most likely would have destroyed the entire gun by then. Grant you, Ruger would replace it. Small 380's do take a beating when shot. A extractor and new firing pin is cheap. I use one 380 for range and one for edc. I have many spare parts just in case of failure. I guess a extractor can break in any firearm, but never had one in a Kahr. In fact with all the LCP's I owned, the entire gun would get cracks in frame, splint rails and on and on, but never had a extractor failure. Kahr is smart that they use a Heavy recoil spring. I most likely will over haul my 380 range gun and replace a lot of parts just for the heck of it. Will put in a new extractor, springs and firing pin. I make sure my recoil springs are in good working order.

If I recall correctly there were a few cases of striker failure from forum members.

Here’s what I think (with absolutely no facts to support it):

- Kahr’s 380 strikers are more likely to fail than their 9mm strikers

- Kahr has not reengineered the 380 striker as they haven’t engineered anything new since the 20th century (not actually true as they did make some changes to the 380 extractor)

- Kahr recognizes that the Lakeline striker is an improvement which is why they offer it for sale on their website

All that being said, if you’re considering buy a Kahr 380 I wouldn’t worry at all about the striker. If the gun functions well and you like it you can always easily replace the striker.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    If I recall correctly there were a few cases of striker failure from forum members.

Here’s what I think (with absolutely no facts to support it):

- Kahr’s 380 strikers are more likely to fail than their 9mm strikers

- Kahr has not reengineered the 380 striker as they haven’t engineered anything new since the 20th century (not actually true as they did make some changes to the 380 extractor)

- Kahr recognizes that the Lakeline striker is an improvement which is why they offer it for sale on their website

All that being said, if you’re considering buy a Kahr 380 I wouldn’t worry at all about the striker. If the gun functions well and you like it you can always easily replace the striker.
    Just out of curiosity, did you get the 365 striker upgrade, one of many? Or just keep the OEM? I think they make them for just about any gun out there these day.

I doubt Kahr has given up on quality control. If there were bad strikers being put out they would have fixed it. Much cheaper to change the part than to do constant repairs with labor, shipping etc.

Sig Sauer P365 Striker Kit

Code: KIT-365-STRIKER

$57.42

King
    I did own an LCP and Ruger replaced it. Then I sold it. The thing with parts braking is one generally doesn’t get a heads up before it brakes. Look up my story about my first time PM9 trigger bar braking. Almost like I had a premonition. The second time I spotted a crack in the bar so I guess it was a heads up. My PM9 is my least trustworthy Kahr because of the broken trigger bars.

I did not replace the OEM striker in any of my 365s as they were all bought after the early 365 striker issue was resolved.

I’m not aware of any changes that Kahr made to their OEM striker but that doesn’t mean they didn’t make changes. Obviously you haven’t had any issues with a crap ton of rounds through your P380s - hence my advice that the OP shouldn’t worry about the striker.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    King
    I did own an LCP and Ruger replaced it. Then I sold it. The thing with parts braking is one generally doesn’t get a heads up before it brakes. Look up my story about my first time PM9 trigger bar braking. Almost like I had a premonition. The second time I spotted a crack in the bar so I guess it was a heads up. My PM9 is my least trustworthy Kahr because of the broken trigger bars.
    I do not know much about a Kahr trigger bar beaking. I guess they do although I have not had one break. That said, My favorite gun of all time is the Nano and Pico. if a trigger bar were to break, or I though it was necessary to place a new one in periodically, no problem. It is a $5.25 part. And so easy to replace a child could do it.

Thank you all for your input!

I did it! I bought a factory new (2023) P380. I also ordered a Lakeline Ultimate Striker kit and a few Magguts +1 magazne kits. I guess I could have just shot my P380 and replaced the striker if/when it broke, but knowing they have a propensity to break, I decided to change it out before firing my new pistol. I can understand why so many shooters have experienced broken strikers, because MIM parts typically don't like 90 degree angles, such as with the factory strikers. The Lakeline Ultimate Striker is made out of hardened D-7 tool steel- which holds up to impacts very well.

Maybe I should have just fired it 200 rounds and carried the P380 without worrying about potential failures, but Id rather spend $80 for enhanced components now, instead of spending a few hundred bucks in ammo, then spending $80 for enhanced components, then spending more money on ammo to retest after installing each new component. Right or wrong... I decided to do all the upgrades now so I can put the pistol thru break-in and testing hopefully one time.
    Last edited by In2Deep; 07-02-2023 at 08:06 AM.

Nice!

Please let us know how the first range session goes. I have the Lakeline striker in my CT380 and Magguts in the magazines. The Magguts have worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
    Thank you all for your input!

I did it! I bought a factory new (2023) P380. I also ordered a Lakeline Ultimate Striker kit and a few Magguts +1 magazne kits. I guess I could have just shot my P380 and replaced the striker if/when it broke, but knowing they have a propensity to break, I decided to change it out before firing my new pistol. I can understand why so many shooters have experienced broken strikers, because MIM parts typically don't like 90 degree angles, such as with the factory strikers. The Lakeline Ultimate Striker is made out of hardened D-7 tool steel- which holds up to impacts very well.

Maybe I should have just fired it 200 rounds and carried the P380 without worrying about potential failures, but Id rather spend $80 for enhanced components now, instead of spending a few hundred bucks in ammo, then spending $80 for enhanced components, then spending more money on ammo to retest after installing each new component. Right or wrong... I decided to do all the upgrades now so I can put the pistol thru break-in and testing hopefully one time.

Makes perfect sense. Enjoy the new pistol!

Thank you! I have high hopes for this one.