Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are 2023 P380's and CW380's reliable?

Oh... I forgot. I also ordered a new stainless steel guide rod from the Kahr's website. I don't know if it was necessary, but I figured I'm this far invested into the pistol; it couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I did buy a lakline but have not put it in. (If you had to send it back for whatever reason for warranty service, you would have to take it out).
    This is not correct. I went through two stock P380 firing pins in the first 500 rounds of ownership and thought, screw it, and just installed the Lakeline myself. The gun has been back to Kahr for warranty repair at least twice since then with the Lakeline installed. Kahr honors the warranty and also respects the Lakeline firing pin. I imagine if they thought it needed replacing they would replace it with another Lakeline. If in doubt, you can chat with repair guys via email. They are pretty easy to talk and usually get back to you the next day.

Kahr actually sells the Lakeline striker assembly.

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/ul...hr-p-cw-ct380/

Quote Originally Posted by XFlyboy View Post
    This is not correct. I went through two stock P380 firing pins in the first 500 rounds of ownership and thought, screw it, and just installed the Lakeline myself. The gun has been back to Kahr for warranty repair at least twice since then with the Lakeline installed. Kahr honors the warranty and also respects the Lakeline firing pin. I imagine if they thought it needed replacing they would replace it with another Lakeline. If in doubt, you can chat with repair guys via email. They are pretty easy to talk and usually get back to you the next day.
    I stand corrected. Must have been thinking back from post years ago. As far as the original question from OP "are they reliable". Answer is a big yes. (other than certain ammo). In fact if I were in the market for a used gun and heard someone complaining about their gun not working, it would be IMO a gun to offer to buy and get a great deal. (for a number of reasons)

Realize there are quality aftermarket parts out there, but I tend to trust OEM stuff (aftermarket folks don't have the means to test things to the same degree as the manufacturer). Same reasoning applies to magazine modification.
    Panics do spread about certain parts; SIG went through this with strikers, which continued with efforts to eliminate primer drag marks....which customers assumed were resulting in the firing pin breaks.
    I'd test hop it in its original configuration, before 'improving' things.
    Moon

Years ago I had a striker break in a P380. I bought lakeline strikers for both p380s I had at the time. Recently a bought two CT380s (that are identical to P/CW380s in the parts going into the slide. Next time I have them apart I will check again, but it seemed to me that my newest Kahrs had strikers that are more robust than the OEM P380s from years ago.

At any rate, I have one lakeline in stock in the spare parts inventory (and I kept the broken and non-broken OEM strikers) so I need to really compare.

EDIT ******

OOPS - nope. I don't have a lakeline in stock - but ordered qty 2 "Ultimate Strikers" for P/CW/CT380. I have 2 OEM strikers in the parts bin, along with one that broke in P380. Will compare again what is installed on new CT380s (at least recent purchase) against what will be shipped in, but suspect they are just the same as old stock.

If fired the lakeline strikers in a P380 for years - no problem.
    Last edited by Chaplain; 02-17-2024 at 04:20 PM.

I too am considering a P380 to go with my EDC PM9, but was wondering about reliability with fluted ammo such as the Underwood Extreme Defender and Extreme Penetrator?

Anybody with P380 run these types of ammo, and if yes, how's reliability?

Also, any thoughts on Magguts +1 mag springs and followers for the P380? I run the Magguts in both types of mags in my PM9 and they've been flawless for years.

Thx!

Not metal bullets, but I've shot a lot of fluted ammo with polymer composite bullets such as ARX in a P380 and CW380 with no issues at all. Used to be able to buy them in bulk for almost the same price as regular fmj, so during that period I used them for range ammo. Now, its my SD ammo only but I still shoot a mag or so at the range occasionally to be sure it will work if needed.
    Same with Magguts in the mag. Adds a round, works fine. Its a pain to install or remove for cleaning, but thats the only issue.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    Not metal bullets, but I've shot a lot of fluted ammo with polymer composite bullets such as ARX in a P380 and CW380 with no issues at all. Used to be able to buy them in bulk for almost the same price as regular fmj, so during that period I used them for range ammo. Now, its my SD ammo only but I still shoot a mag or so at the range occasionally to be sure it will work if needed.
    Same with Magguts in the mag. Adds a round, works fine. Its a pain to install or remove for cleaning, but thats the only issue.
    Good info!

BTW, you're probably aware, but if not the easy way to assemble the Magguts components is to stick them in and hold them fully inserted with your thumb, then put a small punch or screwdriver through the bottom round count hole, then you only have a small portion of spring to depress while adding the base plate. Finally, remove the punch or screwdriver and you're done.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    Years ago I had a striker break in a P380. I bought lakeline strikers for both p380s I had at the time. Recently a bought two CT380s (that are identical to P/CW380s in the parts going into the slide. Next time I have them apart I will check again, but it seemed to me that my newest Kahrs had strikers that are more robust than the OEM P380s from years ago.

At any rate, I have one lakeline in stock in the spare parts inventory (and I kept the broken and non-broken OEM strikers) so I need to really compare.

EDIT ******

OOPS - nope. I don't have a lakeline in stock - but ordered qty 2 "Ultimate Strikers" for P/CW/CT380. I have 2 OEM strikers in the parts bin, along with one that broke in P380. Will compare again what is installed on new CT380s (at least recent purchase) against what will be shipped in, but suspect they are just the same as old stock.

If fired the lakeline strikers in a P380 for years - no problem.
    Just the other day I installed lakeline strikers in my 2 CT380s. What comes OEM on the CT380 is the original Kahr striker from years ago. Perhaps Kahr has made improvements in the MIM process, but still the design of the OEM looks like there is not quite enough 'beef' compared to the lakeline. I bought the lakeline from the Kahr parts website. If I were going to use the 380s as range guns, OEM is probably fine. But I carry them. So, lakeline is installed in all my 380 kahr's (and my buddy's too).

The CT has such easier to use sights than the P/CW 380.

OK Kahr, how about an Aluminum or Steel frame CT380?