CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop

Thread: Desert eagle fire pin problems

Default Desert eagle fire pin problems

Hello everyone I have a magnum research 50AE with factory muzzle break. The fire pin retainer keeps dropping and at times the fire pin will fly out. I have sent it in for warranty twice. The first time they replaced the gas check. The second time the replaced the recoil and fire pin spring. Just got it back and after the 6th round it fell down again. I pushed it back in place and it didn't fall again for the last 12 rounds I had. Has anybody else had this issue if so what was the fix. I am currently waiting for more ammo to test it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentry3114 View Post
    Hello everyone I have a magnum research 50AE with factory muzzle break. The fire pin retainer keeps dropping and at times the fire pin will fly out. I have sent it in for warranty twice. The first time they replaced the gas check. The second time the replaced the recoil and fire pin spring. Just got it back and after the 6th round it fell down again. I pushed it back in place and it didn't fall again for the last 12 rounds I had. Has anybody else had this issue if so what was the fix. I am currently waiting for more ammo to test it more.
    I have no experience with the firing pin stop plate on a DE, but think it's function would be similar to that of the plate on a 1911. i do have experience with them.
    If your problem were to occur on a 1911:
    IMO the best fix would be to fit on oversize plate. I doubt this is an option for the DE, but you still my contact Magnum Research about a new plate with the hope that a new one would be a better fit.
    You could upset some material on the back of the stop where it contacts the frame to tighten up it's fit or peen the sides/edges of the stop for the same effect. Either of these might result in some fitting being needed.
    Try applying some low strength thread locker to the plate and let it cure properly in place.

Other actions might include a clean of all associated parts (to include the slide tunnel) and possibly a new firing pin spring.

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, I think some DEs have a separate plunger that helps retain the plate. I've not seen on myself.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Think those are only on the California models

Gentry are you still having this problem? If so I can disassemble my 50AE and look for potential causes and maybe send a few dimensions to check.

If you can find one, a firing pin stop with a set screw should do the trick. https://i.imgur.com/1nqSpwch.jpg

I got exactly the same problem as the original OP. I am wondering too if he has had the problem solved or not.

My L5 has a set screw in the firing pin stop. My MX-XIX models do not. The L5 is not a CA model, with their funny firing pin safety. It's just a set screw to keep the firing pin stop in place. I had removed the screw thinking it unnecessary, as the MX-XIX guns didn't need it, and right away the firing pin stop would start dropping out of place when shooting. So I put it back in.

I bought the gun used, but I don't believe the previous owner had installed the set screw. I'm guessing MRI has seen the issue and made it standard on the L5 guns.

It should be easy enough to drill and tap a hole and add your own set screw. Or call MRI and see if you can buy a firing pin stop that's already threaded for a set screw.

You can see it just below the firing pin on the gun on the right:

I searched in Youtube for L5 DE pistols and commented under several of them asking about the set screw. One of them replied saying he didn't own that pistol any longer and others keep silent. Honestly I highly doubt MR would start using a set screw to keep the firing pin plate in place. But I haven't contacted them yet. And I cannot find such a firing pin plate on sale at their web store. They only sell a normal one.

However, I hope I have found a solution to this problem. I ordered a 50AE tune-up spring kit from MR. After receiving it I was surprised to notice the firing pin spring in the kit was a bit longer than the one that came with the pistol (bought brand new). After swapping it out, I also noticed the rear end of the firing pin looks protruding instead of being flush with the plate. I wish I could post pictures but don't know how to. I will test it out upcoming weekend and will report back.

As I promised, I am reporting back to the forum. Yes, the new firing pin spring worked!!! Today I brought to the range 100 rounds of 50AE ammo. 60 rounds of MR 300GR JHP, 20 rounds of Hornady Custom 300GR XTP and 20 rounds of Underwood 300 GR FMJ. I was keeping close attention to the firing pin plate all the time during shooting. It did NOT show any sign of falling off during the process. If you have similar problem, try the tune-up spring kit or order separately a new firing pin spring. It will solve the issue.

Happy Endings. I just luv em.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."