Magnum Research new   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Desert eagle fire pin problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My L5 has a set screw in the firing pin stop. My MX-XIX models do not. The L5 is not a CA model, with their funny firing pin safety. It's just a set screw to keep the firing pin stop in place. I had removed the screw thinking it unnecessary, as the MX-XIX guns didn't need it, and right away the firing pin stop would start dropping out of place when shooting. So I put it back in.

I bought the gun used, but I don't believe the previous owner had installed the set screw. I'm guessing MRI has seen the issue and made it standard on the L5 guns.

It should be easy enough to drill and tap a hole and add your own set screw. Or call MRI and see if you can buy a firing pin stop that's already threaded for a set screw.

You can see it just below the firing pin on the gun on the right:

I searched in Youtube for L5 DE pistols and commented under several of them asking about the set screw. One of them replied saying he didn't own that pistol any longer and others keep silent. Honestly I highly doubt MR would start using a set screw to keep the firing pin plate in place. But I haven't contacted them yet. And I cannot find such a firing pin plate on sale at their web store. They only sell a normal one.

However, I hope I have found a solution to this problem. I ordered a 50AE tune-up spring kit from MR. After receiving it I was surprised to notice the firing pin spring in the kit was a bit longer than the one that came with the pistol (bought brand new). After swapping it out, I also noticed the rear end of the firing pin looks protruding instead of being flush with the plate. I wish I could post pictures but don't know how to. I will test it out upcoming weekend and will report back.