Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apx

Thanks for the videos and the feedback on the APX.

Take down is no longer a concern.

The trigger is probably fine.

The slide finish seems to be a weak point but it’s a relatively inexpensive gun so something has to give.

Definitely need to handle one.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

So I stopped by my LGS.

The only APX pistol they had in stock was a full sized tactical. I’m not interested in the tactical version but I was able to hold it and dry fire it.

The ergonomics feel good to me. I’m a small guy so trigger reach on a full sized gun can be an issue. With the medium backstrap installed the trigger reach was great and the flattish face is something I like. The trigger pull is okay - not light and crisp but not long and gritty either.

I compared it to a full sized M&P 2.0 Performance Center. Obviously the trigger on the M&P was shorter, lighter and crisper but I prefer the ergonomics of the Beretta. And the price difference is ridiculous.

So … I ordered an APX A1 from Grabagun.

$390 before sales tax and rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Thanks for the videos and the feedback on the APX.

Take down is no longer a concern.

The trigger is probably fine.

The slide finish seems to be a weak point but it’s a relatively inexpensive gun so something has to give.

Definitely need to handle one.
    They changed the slide finish between the Gen #1 and the current Gen... They use some new finish called "Aqua Tech" that they also use on their top of the line shotguns as well. I've heard mixed reviews about it. Berretta claims it's supposed to be more corrosion resistant than the common nitride finishes. I never had any issues with the nitride finishes on my original APXes after carrying in both leather and kydex holsters and after thousands of rounds.

Another thing you might not know is the barrel is cold hammer forged and chrome lined. That's a process that's usually reserved for full auto rifles barrels.

It might not be a perfect or popular handgun, but it's the most well built and durable duty/war handgun sub $400.

https://www.beretta.com/en/technolog...ua-tech-shield

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    So I stopped by my LGS.

The only APX pistol they had in stock was a full sized tactical. I’m not interested in the tactical version but I was able to hold it and dry fire it.

The ergonomics feel good to me. I’m a small guy so trigger reach on a full sized gun can be an issue. With the medium backstrap installed the trigger reach was great and the flattish face is something I like. The trigger pull is okay - not light and crisp but not long and gritty either.

I compared it to a full sized M&P 2.0 Performance Center. Obviously the trigger on the M&P was shorter, lighter and crisper but I prefer the ergonomics of the Beretta. And the price difference is ridiculous.

So … I ordered an APX A1 from Grabagun.

$390 before sales tax and rebate.
    I’ve dealt with GrabaGun for years online.
    Good service and good guys to interact with in their Coppell, Texas store too - I walked in to pick up a purchase once before the pandemic.
    The only delay in delivery was this past week - ordered these mags on the 29th, they were shipped on the 1st but were stuck in the Dallas FedEx facility for five days!
    Delivered yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Default Apx

I bought a Kahr P9 from them probably 5 years ago.

They shipped my APX-A1 same day. Plan is to pick it up from my LGS Monday.

Top 5 most underrated Concealed Carry. (I do not always agree with this YouTube guy, but IMO he got it right with two of these. The Kahr 40cal and you will see what Number 1 is. No surprise in my book.} For those that do not want to watch the video. Number 1 is the APX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvC81eNlZcA

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Top 5 most underrated Concealed Carry. (I do not always agree with this YouTube guy, but IMO he got it right with two of these. The Kahr 40cal and you will see what Number 1 is. No surprise in my book.} For those that do not want to watch the video. Number 1 is the APX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvC81eNlZcA

FYI Thought I would post this deal as well. The APX A1 carry which has a trigger very similar to the Kahr albeit the Glock thingy is a sale that is IMO one heck of a great deal The gun in Grey, can be bought For $229 and comes with two magazines a 6 rd and 8 rd. And according to the description is comes with a TRITIUM FRONT NIGHTSIGHT. . Beretta is also offering a Free Optic plate and a $50.00 rebate.

https://lockedloaded.com/product/apx...y-9mm-gray-2.9
    Last edited by King Rat; 09-10-2023 at 01:45 AM.

Picked up the A1 full size today. Haven’t shot it yet.

Regarding some of the negatives on YouTube:

- take down is not difficult
    - changing back straps is not difficult
    - slide finish is not cheap looking

I did see what I think is some tooling chatter inside the slide.

As far as the trigger goes, out of the box it’s heavier than my broken in P365s and much heavier than my Shield Plus. Take up is very short. It does not have a crisp, clean break. Rather it’s a little gritty and mushy and heavy feeling. Hopefully it will smooth out a little. I measured the trigger weight and it really varies based on where you pull it. Down low on the trigger, which is where I place my finger, it was measuring about 5 lbs so really not bad at all. My hope is for this to be a nightstand pistol and with that in mind, I don’t want a super light trigger in a gun that I may access in the stress of a 2 AM emergency.

The sights seem fine - blacked out rear and white dot front with a tritium insert. While it’s optic ready I don’t plan to add an optic.

I switched to the small backstrap and ergonomically it feels good in my small hands - better than the PDP-F that I no longer own. Trigger reach is amazing for people with small hands. The stippling on the front strap and back strap is very grippy.

Gave it a good cleaning and plan to shoot it tomorrow.

Nice! Looking forward to hearing your field report

Nice looking firearm. Especially like the looks of the grip, the slide serrations, and the way the mag base fits to the grip frame.