CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Xssights

Thread: New CW45 Owner with a few questions

Default New CW45 Owner with a few questions

I'll be picking up my pistol any day now and have a few questions:

Best front sight: I like fiber optic and see Dawson has one. Anyone using one. Do you like it. (I'll leave the rear sight, I think I heard it's a bit of a bear to do the install.) Directions seem pretty clear, is it as easy as it looks?

Grips: I'll figure it out myself, but are Talons necessary from those who have/don't have them?

MAGAZINES: I read that most 1911 mags will fit the CW45. True? I've got a bunch. Also that both CW45 and P45 mags fit. I'll assume the best advice is to buy the less expensive of the two. And somewhere I read that ProMags work fine. Normally I'd stay away from them, but is this the exception? Going rate for CW45 mag (at least from one online store I googled is $48ish, is that right? (Clearly I'll shop around.)

Springs: I'll replace the recoil spring just because. Any others that ought to replaced on a used Kahr? And is there a "secret" striker spring replacement trick that will lessen the trigger pull, like using a Glock 6 lb. striker spring on a Walther or SW 99 to decrease the DA pull. (Not that I'll do that without running a bunch of bullets through the gun first.)

Guide Rod: Anyone use/prefer stainless steel guide rod offered on Kahr site instead of the original?

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat3340 View Post

Best front sight: I like fiber optic and see Dawson has one. Anyone using one. Do you like it. (I'll leave the rear sight, I think I heard it's a bit of a bear to do the install.) Directions seem pretty clear, is it as easy as it looks?

Grips: I'll figure it out myself, but are Talons necessary from those who have/don't have them?

MAGAZINES: I read that most 1911 mags will fit the CW45. True? I've got a bunch. Also that both CW45 and P45 mags fit. I'll assume the best advice is to buy the less expensive of the two. And somewhere I read that ProMags work fine. Normally I'd stay away from them, but is this the exception? Going rate for CW45 mag (at least from one online store I googled is $48ish, is that right? (Clearly I'll shop around.)

Springs: I'll replace the recoil spring just because. Any others that ought to replaced on a used Kahr? And is there a "secret" striker spring replacement trick that will lessen the trigger pull, like using a Glock 6 lb. striker spring on a Walther or SW 99 to decrease the DA pull. (Not that I'll do that without running a bunch of bullets through the gun first.)

Guide Rod: Anyone use/prefer stainless steel guide rod offered on Kahr site instead of the original?

What am I missing?

You asked so I will give my opinion. Dawson sucks. I have tried them on a few guns and the specs were not even close. I had to do all kinds of filing down to get it right. They just seem over priced as well. And why give up a good night sight? The new night sights are now designed to see well at a indoor range.
    Yes, it does not hurt to replace the recoil spring. No telling how many rounds fired through one.
    Guide rod? Why not? Check out the one in the gun. You have to clean the striker channel anyway. I like the steel guide rods. Not expensive and Plastic rods can get chewed up. I use to have pictures of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat3340 View Post

What am I missing?
    Front sight: I have a Trijicon front sight on my CW45 slide, but see no reason that the Dawson FO front sight shouldn't work for you. Either is an improvement over the plastic front sight on the CW45. Yep, no need to replace the rear sight.

Grips: I don't use anything on my poly frame Kahr pistols. I have broken/smoothed the corner of the frame above the thumb in the name of comfort.

Magazines: Most 1911 magazines will fit in the CW45/P45. Officers/Compact 1911 magazines will fit close to flush with the bottom of the frame.
    The trick to 1911 mags is finding followers that will reliably lock the slide back
    I've been using using Officers magazines tubes with Kahr followers and springs (6 round capacity) for about 13 years now. No issues with that combo and the slide locks back consistently. I have some other Officers magazines that hold seven rounds; these feed reliably, but they do not lock the slide back.
    Here's info on all this: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...gazine-UPDATED

Springs: Galloway Precision, MCARBO, and W. C. Wolff sell lighter striker springs for Kahr pistols.

Guide rod: Every once in a while a Kahr guide rod will turn up without a bevel on front end. That can make installation a bit harder, but doesn't affect it's operation once installed. It's not hard to put a DIY bevel on the rod. I have an aftermarket stainless guide rod in my P45: it works fine, but probably no better than a stock one.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>