CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have an Aorta Valve replacement done in recent years?

Default Anyone here have an Aorta Valve replacement done in recent years?

Am wondering about other folk’s experiences.

That’s what my cardio surgeon is going to set up for me at my appointment next week.
    The CT and ECHO scans said mine is shot.
    This doctor uses cow valves to implant via the trans-catheter method.
    Guess I ‘ll have to give up beef to avoid becoming a cannibal.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Never had one or even know anyboy who has so can't help you, but for what it's worth will be praying/pulling for you that all goes well.
    "If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Am wondering about other folk’s experiences.

That’s what my cardio surgeon is going to set up for me at my appointment next week.
    The CT and ECHO scans said mine is shot.
    This doctor uses cow valves to implant via the trans-catheter method.
    Guess I ‘ll have to give up beef to avoid becoming a cannibal.
    Recently talked to a friend of mine that had one. He looks great. I believe they are almost becoming somewhat standard. Glad they saw this in time. You will be fine. Take care and God Bless.

PS My cousin who I grew up with is a Judge. He had to have a entire Heart Transplant. That was about 15 years ago. Look great, single guy that always has beautiful women by his side.

Coffee buddy had one done and they went in through his groin and inserted one in just a few minutes. He opted for no pacemaker due to the restrictions that comes along with one of those things but he was back to coffee one week later with no side effects over a year later.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Good luck Army, I don’t know anyone that had the Aorta replaced but two folks at church had some serious robotic surgery performed, one for a kidney removal and the other to remove a cancerous thyroid and both went well and were successful…..Robotic surgery is amazing and the recovery time is so much shorter……

Let us know when it’s going to be scheduled for and as soon as you feel like it give us a holler with how you are doing…..You are on the prayer teams list and I’m positive you will come through it just fine…….God Bless!

It is called a TAVR-Trans catheter (a small tube inserted in your groin or elseware) Aortic Valve Replacement. Edwards Lifesciences usually is the valve system used. It is a very refined procedure, performed in a cardiovascular lab setting. A cardio-thoracic surgeon is there, an interventional cardiologist is there along with a whole team of reps, CV staff, and Anesthesia. They access the area usually (but not always) thru the notch in your groin, to the side of your stuff, and thread guidewires up your outflow tract (arteries) until they get in just the right place. They use Fluoroscope's, (X2) to make sure it is in the right spot, along with a TEE (trans-esophageal echo) very accurate! The CT surgeon deploys the valve, pushing the old one out of the way. It seats in place, they check it carefully to make sure it is performing, and off you go! They use anticoagulants during the procedure, use another drug to reverse them, and check the ACT (Active coagulation time) to make sure you are within the given parameters. The other version is cutting your sternum and cutting the heart open and replacing it that way. Both have + and -'s. The TAVR's are rather elegant and much easier to recover from. Follow what they say, relax and let the pro's do their thing, be forthright with Anesthesia and the interventionalist and you will be back on the range before the price of ammo goes up! Best of luck! 38 years in the business, I am a Cardio-Anesthesia tech and see these done all the time!

Thanks, all good to hear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

It's been over 15 years since the last time I observed a heart surgery. At the time, porcine (pig) and bovine (cow) valves were preferred over alternatives... IIRC, Schwarzenegger had the ball/valve put in for his... that was even before that.

Supposedly the cow valves can last about 10 years, but can be replaced once.
    Am turning 79 late this year, so that sounds good enough to me for the best case scenario.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Not so great news for the cow but I hope whichever way you decide to go, it works well for you. Is that Edwards Life science deal a mechanical deal I wonder?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."