Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cw9 vs cw40

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cw9 vs cw40

I have been carrying a CW9 for a couple of years and really like it. Today I was at a gun show and looked hard at a CW40. Does anyone own both and does the 40 perform and handle as well as the 9. I am thinking I would really like to have the 40 to carry at times if it performs as good as the 9. Thanks for your opinions.

Still no replies, I have bathed in the last couple of days. Maybe it's my breath.

I was reluctant to jump in this one since I don't own a CW40 and thought others would help ya out. Apparently not so, so for whats it's worth, heres my opinion to be used as you see fit.
    I do own a K40, the all steel 40. While I have zero issues with it I do find that it bucks a bit. I had it magna ported and that helped some and was well worth it just cause it looks really cool. That being said, while I'm not recoil sensitive it just jumps too much for a defense gun to me. I carry it but much prefer my PM45. Both are backup guns to a 1911 anyhow so while they both must be reliable and trustworthy they are in a backup role.
    In my opinion (IMHO???, trying to get these abbreviations down) I see little gain in adding a CW 40 to your wardrobe. While I like the 40 immensely over the 9, the 9 will get the job done and many many folks think they are the ticket.
    I'd use the CW9 as the small go everywhere all the time gun and go for something maybe larger or different that could serve double duty as a carry gun when clothing allows and a fun range gun all the time.
    Course my first choice would be 45 but thats just a personal addiction I've had to deal with for many many years.
    Bud's has a plethora of factory demo Para Ordnance's right now in every size and caliber a person could want. I still have a Smith M&P on my want list but it's a long ways off I fear. I been a bad boy buying toys lately.
    At the end of the day it's your choice to make, give it some serious thought and make your decision. You'll always know it should have been right even if it isn't.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default CW9 vs. CW40

I just saw this and I did have both a CW9 and a CW40. The CW40 does have more recoil for sure, a really sharp bark but it is not imposssible to control just more recoil than the CW9.

I sold my CW40 and but then a little while later was offered a great deal on a P40, so now I have it; same issue as the CW40.

I still like the P40 and will keep it, I also have the K40 and it is a much softer gun to shoot.

as far as function, I never had any problems with the CW40 after the first 50 rd.

Hope this helps.:4:

VANTOO Guest

I had a CW9 and loved it. I traded for a CW40 andlet the 9 go. After shooting the CW40 quite a bit, I found I was not as accurate and it had a lot more recoil. I just traded the CW40 for another CW9 and after shooting it several times, am extremely glad I did. But I guess that is just personal preferance. Hope this comment helps ya....

I shoot my CW9 regularly and am very happy with it. I never shot a CW40 but my experience with other 40's tells me they are too snappy for my liking. I prefer the push of a .45 to the jump of a .40, but that is just me. I would think based on size and weight that the CW40 would be quite a handful.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I love the CW9 as it is a great shooter, accurate, recoil friendly and very easy to carry. I have a Glock 22 and a Springfield 1911 Mil-spec. Both are a little large to carry, but like I said the CW9 is perfect for carry. Will probably stick my next saved up money into an AK. Thanks again for the replies.

Default Unsure about my CW40

I recently purchased a CW40 as my first Kahr and was more than a little shocked by the recoil. I bought it over the CW9 because they were the same price and size, but the .40 ballistics are so much better. Now that I've put about 300 rounds through the CW40 I'm still not that comfortable with the kick, and my groups aren't very good yet. I'm starting to think that the CW9 may have been a better choice and I would likely shoot better with it. And before anyone starts thinking I'm just a limp-wrist, I used to be a power lifter and still have forearms like Popeye, so that's not the problem. I haven't given up on the CW40 yet, but I'm having some doubts.

I hear that porting can do wonders with a P40/CW40.
    Very interesting...

Who does the porting, how much does it cost, and do you need a longer barrel like the factory ported ones?