Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal HST Tactical

DJK11 does this mean the case is a little too small or is the bullet a little too big? Dan

Neither really. The sizing die is squeezing the case back to factory original or even more. The bullet is a given, it can't be too big or it wouldn't go thru the barrel correctly. (unless of course you have the wrong bullets)
    Many precision shooters (rifles) just neck size if they use the ammo in the same rifle. They want the case to fill the chamber so it don't rattle around.
    With pistols, the round may be used in different guns and being an auto it has to feed so they want it back to original.
    Nothing wrong with your photo. You might back off the sizing die just a tad which might help not squeeze it down quite so much. But nothing to worry about.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The picture was a Federal HST factory round. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Whaleman View Post
    You can see it in this photo. The light makes it seem more than it really is. Dan
    I'm seeing the same thing in my factory Gold Dot rounds. Nothing to worry about.

Well, I went out back (I live in the country) and shot about 40 rounds of the new (to me) Federal HST Tactical in my P380. The ammo performed flawlessly. I shot every way to try to get it to screw up and it did not. I know this is not classified as +P but it sure feels like it. The blue sealant that is used to waterproof the primer and bullet is a little messy in the gun. They also seemed just a tad dirtier than some other carry rounds. maybe a hot powder is dirty. I don't know and don't care. I will use this as my new carry round. Dan

Well, I went out back (I live in the country) and shot about 40 rounds of the new (to me) Federal HST Tactical in my P380. The ammo performed flawlessly. I shot every way to try to get it to screw up and it did not. I know this is not classified as +P but it sure feels like it. The blue sealant that is used to waterproof the primer and bullet is a little messy in the gun. They also seemed just a tad dirtier than some other carry rounds. maybe a hot powder is dirty. I don't know and don't care. I will use this as my new carry round. Dan
    Extra dirty...extra messy? Just what I'm looking for........................

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Extra dirty...extra messy? Just what I'm looking for........................
    I will only shoot these carry rounds like two bullets every 2 months before I go to much cheaper practice rounds. If I ever have to use my carry gun (hope I never do) than how dirty or messy they are will be the least of my problems. My carry gun bullet choice is first do they cycle and fire everytime. Next is they must be a stout round as I would be trying to defend myself with just a .380. Next is a bullet that will reliably expand after going through different clothing and will penetrate enough without over penetrating. I expect I would only shoot at the most my seven rounds in a life or death situation. I carry an extra mag but for the life of me I can't envision very many situations where I would need to or have time to reload. Dan

I will only shoot these carry rounds like two bullets every 2 months before I go to much cheaper practice rounds. If I ever have to use my carry gun (hope I never do) than how dirty or messy they are will be the least of my problems. My carry gun bullet choice is first do they cycle and fire everytime. Next is they must be a stout round as I would be trying to defend myself with just a .380. Next is a bullet that will reliably expand after going through different clothing and will penetrate enough without over penetrating. I expect I would only shoot at the most my seven rounds in a life or death situation. I carry an extra mag but for the life of me I can't envision very many situations where I would need to or have time to reload. Dan
    Whatever works for ya.............It's why I shop around. I can't justify spending .80 cents a round plus shipping for ammo that's dirty with messy blue sealant. (your words) You're not sounding too confident in your caliber. " trying to defend myself with just a .380 ". Carry on.............

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Whatever works for ya.............It's why I shop around. I can't justify spending .80 cents a round plus shipping for ammo that's dirty with messy blue sealant. (your words) You're not sounding too confident in your caliber. " trying to defend myself with just a .380 ". Carry on.............
    Your right about the .380. If I knew when a problem would happen I would bring an AR. But I want to carry 100% of the time no matter what I am wearing and my little P380 fits the bill perfectly. Thanks, Dan

Your right about the .380. If I knew when a problem would happen I would bring an AR. But I want to carry 100% of the time no matter what I am wearing and my little P380 fits the bill perfectly. Thanks, Dan
    A couple of well placed rounds of 380 will take care of any problem you’re likely to face. Of course bigger calibers, if well placed, can do more damage but I’ve yet to hear of a 380 naysayer who’s willing to be shot by one, even once.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.