Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: My new P380 is now 100% reliable, until it gets dirty. Would you carry it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Da mighty 380, LOL. I have an RAxxxx P380 that I’ve shot the heck out of for the first couple years. Never used as the primary. I just don’t understand the fascination with the 380acp. A lite for weight slow moving 9mm round. But wait, that’s what 007 carries, the 9mm short.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Da mighty 380, LOL. I have an RAxxxx P380 that I’ve shot the heck out of for the first couple years. Never used as the primary. I just don’t understand the fascination with the 380acp. A lite for weight slow moving 9mm round. But wait, that’s what 007 carries, the 9mm short.
    If you have to ask you’ll never understand.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    Check out The Best Handgun Caliber - A Real World Study.
    https://youtu.be/nycYxb-zNwc?si=blHVOZIrvC-iIk5V
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Thank you for that video, it is definitely something to consider. Mainly, carry a gun in the best way possible in the caliber that works best for you. I carry a .380 on occasion, I have a CW380 that was a pawnshop find, it was a raspberry colored grip frame and was got for under 2 hundred with 4 magazines. I dyed the grip frame black and replaced the recoil springs, I polished the recoil rod and have had good results. I also polished the top and sides of the barrel to a 1000# finish, I used the bottom surface of a granite surface gauge as the true surface, using grease to hold the sandpaper and light oil the work is slow and tedious, but the results are a nicely finished barrel hood. I have had some issues with the CW380 but it tends to be after it gets dirty. I also have a Beretta Pico that runs like a Swiss watch, obviously they have the spring rate timing down as I have never had any issues with it. I tend to carry a .380 using the Norma MHP ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    Check out The Best Handgun Caliber - A Real World Study.
    https://youtu.be/nycYxb-zNwc?si=blHVOZIrvC-iIk5V
    I have always wondered what caliber wins the war on Incapacitation between the Big Slow 45 or the small but mighty 380. Could someone please tell me.

Oh, I do see the answer. Just what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I have always wondered what caliber wins the war on Incapacitation between the Big Slow 45 or the small but mighty 380. Could someone please tell me.

Oh, I do see the answer. Just what I thought.

Just too many variables to take that at face value. For instance, from what distance were the singles shots made from? Did the target give up after one shot, or were the single shots fatal.

That being said, I remember the 9mm vs. 45 caliber wars that commenced back in the 80's after Beretta won their first US military contract. Fast forward to now and according to Bill Wilson there are more 1911's being made and sold in 9mm than .45. We people do like to take our stands on something don't we? I have never felt particularly vulnerable when carrying a .380. And if I had ever had the need to point it at someone, they almost certainly would have. I've never heard of anyone saying they'd take the place of ballistics gel in order to test a .380 round, for the sake of real science.