CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new P380 is now 100% reliable, until it gets dirty. Would you carry it?

Thank you Slowburn, Iwonder, and DJK11!

I'll keep in mind my P380's limitations and... I'll manage my expectations for it. After a bunch of range visits it's never failed when I kept it below 100 rounds, so I've decided that I should trust it with 7 rounds (or 13 with a spare mag).

What flared-up my ODC was... I thought after making it thru Kahr's break in period, I could expect all of my stovepipes to disappear. Now... I see how unrealistic and foolish that sounds. All guns fail; it's just a matter of time. With as small as the P380 is (with it's tight tolerances), failures are bound to happen sooner than later.

Thanks again fellas!
    Last edited by In2Deep; 09-29-2023 at 02:07 AM.

Once thru the break in period it will no doubt get better.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My P380 is also 100% reliable. With the cost of ammo I have to admit that I have not shot 100 rounds without cleaning. My cleaning operation is kind of long winded. I strip the slide every time. I can do it very quick. I am retired so if I spend 2 hours cleaning it is no big deal. I try to shoot maybe 30 rounds every month and do a super clean. I can shoot in my back yard. If I had to travel to a range I would probably shoot more each time. If you study defensive use of a concealed carry weapon it is usually all over after 2-3 shots. Many times it is only one shot which in my P380 with a bullet in the chamber the reliability factor of the first shot approaches absolute certainty. The failure of the first shot would have to be a failure of the bullet. So, to answer the original question YES I would carry your P380 especially if you carry with a quality factory round chambered like you should. Dan

Thank you Dan

Quote Originally Posted by In2Deep View Post
    Thank you Dan
    Your welcome In2Deep. I carry an extra mag also. At 71 I have trouble envisioning a situation where I would need to reload. Maybe some mall shooter, but I never go to malls. Since for many years I have been lucky and never have had to draw my pistol the chance of needing the extra mag is slim. I still carry it. I take it apart maybe every two months and wipe it down. I have a leather holder it rides in my pocket. Dan
    Last edited by Whaleman; 10-06-2023 at 06:24 AM.

I just carry it in my pocket. No belt holder. Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

First post as a new member.

I have a P380 that I have had for about 10 years and never shot. Decided to change that yesterday. First, I stripped it completely and ran it thru the ultrasonic cleaner then carefully dried and lubed exactly as described on the Kahr website. Then to the range with Gold Dots. Fired 80 rounds. Used the factory 6-round magazines. Four FTF. 21 stovepipes. 50% failure to lock open on last round.

Well, that got my attention!!! I carry/fire a lot of small pistols - Keltec P32, Kahr PM9, Rohrbaugh R9 and these pistols - out of the box - have been 100% reliable. Like a Glock.

I also have a Kahr P9 and K40 - both fantastic guns - out of the box.

So, seems like this P380 is a problem child. Yesterday, I ordered new firing pin, recoil spring and extractor springs from Kahr, ordered the 6-round magazine spring from Maggut (spelling ?) and the Lakeline Striker.

I would like this pistol to work but it does seem strange that it may require about a third of its original cost in repairs right out of the gate.

I will update this thread next week once the upgrades are in, and I have taken it back to the range!

Kahr's tend to require some break in, like leave the slide locked back for a couple of days, then I did about 400 dry fires with snap caps on my PM9 (it was the pandemic, ranges closed), though some say it's smarter to remove the recoil spring and rack the action a ton. I also polished my feed ramp and trigger bar a bit (to 1000'ish grit).

So far just two limp wristed FTF's on my first mag until I learned how to grip it, and perfection since for over 1500 rounds. Even after all that manual break in, it still loosened up more at around the 200 round mark. I also run mine fairly wet via the factory lube chart.

The 380's tend to have more issues than the 9's, though try the above before throwing parts at it IMO (assuming new in the box etc).

Good luck...

I don't know about removing the recoil spring but 300 or so cycles is good on a new Kahr. The spring tension helps the mating between the moving surfaces to rub in the same way they would if fired.
    Smaller guns of all makes are generally more prone to stoppages. The action is shorter due to the size, and so there is less margin, in terms of travel, for error in extraction, ejection, and feeding. Timing has to be just so.
    FWIW I've had 3 P380s and all have run very well. Only have one left, and it's my no excuses gun.

not to cause controversy, but my 12 yr. old CM 9, 11,000+ fired, EDC/IDPA BUG gun is still ejecting and going into battery robustly on the original recoil springs. just broke a cocking cam spring a month ago which Kahr replaced N.C.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER