Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitting CW9 mag release when shooting

Default Hitting CW9 mag release when shooting

Hey, gang!

Odd issue... short story...

I had a P45 for a while, one of the reasons I decided to NOT use it as my carry piece was that the pistol's geometry, and my hand's geometry... hit the slide release during fire. It just fell under my thumb... and I kept hitting it, causing a FTF. Never really had that issue with my CW9's, which I DO carry every day.

I was out in NV a few weeks ago, and did some draw n shoot drills with my trusty CW9. Shooting single-handed... draw, present, fire... all of a sudden, I'm hitting the mag release. Never happened before with the CW9.

So, this is with one of my 3 CW9's, but I didn't have another one with me. I've always thought the mag release was kind of mushy, anyway, at least on this pistol. That got me wondering...

Is spring fatigue an issue with the Kahr pistols, or the C-series in general? How hard is it to replace the mag release spring/bar thingy... it's buried up in there pretty good. Is there an aftermarket option (doubtful,) or some other hot setup for managing the mag release?

Using the search function, I see that most people have the problem with a too HARD mag release... so I'm wondering if 10 years of use and perspiration may have gotten to my spring...?

It's not terribly hard to get it out. It's a leaf spring set up much like a Glock. You have to push the release a bit and take a pick or a small screwdriver and pry it out of the little slot in the release. Once it's out the release with just slide out.
    Then you take a needle nose and pull up on the spring and it should come out. I've not heard of them weakening but doesn't mean it can't happen. I don't have a C only K's and my PM45 but I'm sure the C is the same as the PM.
    Keep us posted.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Have you considered that maybe your thumb shouldn't be on or near the mag release?

https://www.ammoman.com/blog/buildin...-forward-grip/

https://americanshootingjournal.com/thumbs-er-forward/

I never had that problem with my CM9; in fact I had to drill/tap the mag release and added a 8-32 sight base screw for more length so I could reach it with my thumb (short thumb); I have some course grip tape from falcon grip used in a experiment where my short thumb rests, so it knows where it is. maybe that may develop some thumb (?) memory ?

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELIEVER

Your problem may be with the mag catch it’s self. I bought a used Kahr and evidently the previous owner liked to slam the mags home and sheared the “shelf” pretty much off. Replaced the mag release problem solved. It’s a plastic part with embedded steel to hold the mag in place.

Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    Your problem may be with the mag catch it’s self. I bought a used Kahr and evidently the previous owner liked to slam the mags home and sheared the “shelf” pretty much off. Replaced the mag release problem solved. It’s a plastic part with embedded steel to hold the mag in place.
    Could have a Bingo here. Could very well be the solution. Easy fix too, don't have to remove the spring, just release it from the mag release and put in the new one, snap it back in place. Definitely worth a shot.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    Plastic part? Not in any of my Kahrs - including the CM9. Are you talking about the mag follower? That has nothing to do with releasing the mag.

At the risk of being undiplomatic, this sounds more like an operator error. See my post above.

I remember reading here many MOONs ago about plastic magazine catch on some very early Kahrs. Da factory was replacing them gratis. Don’t recall da model.

Metal or plastic, the catch was a metal insert. If that was worn or broken somehow it could still be the culprit. If it is indeed plastic, a contact with Kahr might get you a new one.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    I remember reading here many MOONs ago about plastic magazine catch on some very early Kahrs. Da factory was replacing them gratis. Don’t recall da model.
    Would've had to be first year steel frame models. Mine go back that far. Unless it was the first plastic frames? Mine with plastic frames aren't that old. I've never seen anything other than a one-piece steel mag catch/release. Probably MIM on later productions though, so there's that. It would be easy enough to see if the ledge is broken or out of spec without disassembling more than removing the slide.