Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any black powder afficianados on the forums?

Default Are there any black powder afficianados on the forums?

I remember when I was a kid loving to shoot percussion revolvers and rifles. When I was old enough my first arm was a brass frame 1851 Colt, I still have it. I still enjoy shooting all sorts of BP arms. I remember reading that the brass frames cannot take hot loads and they should be fed light loads. I found books on loading percussion revolvers and they helped immensley. I still have my first .69 caliber flintlock musket. We had tons of fun shooting ball, shot and target loads out of it. I have made black powder and screened it but commercial stuff is best. Just wondering if there is interest in the old BP arms?

I shot a little bit years ago, have a 54 Renegade and a 45 (Sears I think). Hunted black powder a few years. Been wanting to get a small caliber, maybe even flintlock to play around with.
    I enjoyed it although I didn't get into it too seriously. Nice to shoot all day for not a lot of money for sure.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I've shot and hunted in the past, but nothing in the last 15 years or so. That is mainly because in Colorado, and I imagine the rest of the western states, if you draw a tag for big game, you can only hunt that season and only that weapon. Archery, muzzle loader, or rifle. Our tags are only for one of four seasons for rifle, from 5 to 7 days each. If you put in for archery and don't get an animal, you can't hunt m l or rifle later on.

There are some licenses that can hunt all three seasons, but they are on private land or the Govn's tag. My wife does have a cow elk tag that runs from Sept 1 to Jan 31 on private land. We do have a random elk or two cross our land, but I have yet to see one during that time frame. Always in the summer.

I do have an inline m l that I won in a raffle a bit over 20 years ago that I hunted with when I was stationed in MS. Used to have a bow, too. I need to pull that rifle out and play with it now that you started this topic. I believe it was the first inline that came to market. Been so long I can't recall the brand but I know it is a .50 cal.

I invested in a Black Powder rifle. Quickly became bored with it. Too much trouble and messy. If I had it to do over I would have bought the "FIRESTICK". Much simpler, productive shooting. That said, I still have a lot of bullets, primers and powder, might try and find a revolver.

https://www.federalpremium.com/firestick.html

Wait a minute here, is there a missing or deleted reply? Wasn’t there a reply about black cats and a plane overshooting the runway? Something about an all female crew. Was I hallucinating?

Yup there was and I enjoyed it.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Enjoyed the post or deleting it?

I deleted it because it was off topic and I didn’t want to highjack a serious thread but it was true, we blew up my friends dads brick BBQ he built himself……It’s a miracle we didn’t kill ourselves as kids with all the crazy stupid stuff we did back in the day……..
    Last edited by getsome; 11-25-2023 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Speeling

I didn't delete it, getsome has Pedro's protection.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

The guy that works on my cars, deer hunts with a black powder rifle. It looks like any modern rifle, has about a thousand dollar scope on it. Here in SC, deer hunting season is long, but bows get to hunt two weeks before everyone else, then the next 10 days is "primitive weapons" (black powder or bow). Then everyone else. He does black powder so he can go a week early.

These are the rules for zone 2, where I live. I grew up in zone 4, which allows dogs, and does not have a primitive only season, straight from bow to standard rifles.

Game Zone 2 (Private Lands)

Antlered Deer Limit: Statewide limits apply.
    Antlerless Limit: 2 per day, 5 total all seasons and methods combined.
    Archery Only: Sept. 15-30
    Primitive Weapons: Oct. 1-10
    Gun Hunts: Oct. 11-Jan. 1
    Youth Deer Hunt Days: September 9, Antlered deer only, limit 1. January 6 Either-sex, limit 2. Tags not required
    NRA Benefactor