Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Previous Kahr owner

Default Previous Kahr owner

I'm a previous Kahr owner, and am thinking about rejoining the brand.
    One of the .380 iterations will be my interest.
    BTW, for admins, the registration page ran me in circles for several minutes to be registered; it was like Whack-a-mole.
    Things that I'd dealt with were blanked, repeatedly, including my password, the random question, and affirming to play by the rules.
    Anyway, enjoy gun boards, we'll see what you have to offer.
    Thanks,
    Moon

So that would be either a CW/P380 or a CT380. I believe that’s all there is to choose from.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoonclip View Post
    I'm a previous Kahr owner, and am thinking about rejoining the brand.
    One of the .380 iterations will be my interest.
    BTW, for admins, the registration page ran me in circles for several minutes to be registered; it was like Whack-a-mole.
    Things that I'd dealt with were blanked, repeatedly, including my password, the random question, and affirming to play by the rules.
    Anyway, enjoy gun boards, we'll see what you have to offer.
    Thanks,
    Moon
    You must be tired...........................

Yeah, those were the the choices. I previously had a P380. I loved the size, trigger, sights and overall build quality.
    I did not like the two-men-and-a-boy slide rack, and the absolute need to charge from slidelock.
    Went shopping the other day; my local doesn't stock Kahr because "They don't sell well".
    There was a (lightly) used Bodyguard .380 that I got instead. It would be better with a Kahr trigger, but the slide is manageable, and the sights are fine.
    So, let me ask, am I the only guy grousing about the Kahr slide? Frankly, some really aggressive racking grooves would go a long way toward solving the problem.
    Thanks,
    Moon

No, I do not think you are the only one. I’ve heard/seen many who take issue with the slide racking and no sling shotting of Kahr’s. I’ve learned that the best way to rack them is to hold the slide firmly and push the grip away from you, rather than trying to hold the grip and pulling the slide towards you. I found that useful when trying to break a Kahr in, sitting on the couch and racking a few hundred times while watching tv. Still tiresome, but much easier that way. Hope that helps!

A proper slingshot will work every time on any Kahr. You just can't ride that slide forward at all, it needs full momentum to get the job done. Actually slingshotting give the slide a tad bit of a head start. The slide moves a bit forward to engage the slide stop. The difficulty in racking the slide aggravates the problem and in my simple mind I don't see a workable cure for that. I have not found a semi auto that my wife can rack. Not one. The EZ's, some that I found easy, she just couldn't do it.
    She's strong, no question, just don't have strength in the right places to rack a slide I guess. She's content with her Smith 638.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Smith 638: More dependable, therefore better than a high number of autos out there. With her Smith you also don't have to worry about her limp wristing. Lot of good arguments to put a revolver in the hands of some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    A proper slingshot will work every time on any Kahr. You just can't ride that slide forward at all, it needs full momentum to get the job done. Actually slingshotting give the slide a tad bit of a head start. The slide moves a bit forward to engage the slide stop. The difficulty in racking the slide aggravates the problem and in my simple mind I don't see a workable cure for that. I have not found a semi auto that my wife can rack. Not one. The EZ's, some that I found easy, she just couldn't do it.
    She's strong, no question, just don't have strength in the right places to rack a slide I guess. She's content with her Smith 638.
    Many ladies just don't have wrist strength. The only slide my wife can rack is the LCP II. She loved the SP101 but it was too heavy. If the LCP ever gets replaced, she'll probably go back to a light small revolver.........I agree. I've never had an issue slingshotting a Kahr. The best way is to push the gun forward as you're grabbing the end of the slide with your thumb and index finger. It's the cleanest way. It's kind of my test. If you can't do that consistently with your current firearm, you may want to make a change.

I have no problem with sling shot on a Kahr. I do put grip tape on on forward of the slide and top rear. Then it is just proper "Technique". Eliminates having to use heavy force. The trade off for a heavy recoil spring on these guns is you get Mild shooting.

I've been practicing the Israeli draw with my well broken in and lubed PM9 (for the times I carry in condition 3 rather than condition 0), and I find I can sling shot and forcibly ride the slide forward into battery with my support hand as I transition to a two handed firing grip. This works every time either way, i.e. letting go of or forcibly riding the slide forward into battery to chamber a round. What you can't do is drag on the slide while it's attempting to go into battery, so either help ram the slide into battery or let go of it. This is via the push the gun forward as you're grabbing the slide with your support hand method (I typically grab the slide from above, thumb and index finger on the slide's serrations). Note that I Magguts followers and springs in my EDC mags, though the technique works fine with stock Kahr mags as well.

That said, the PM9's springing is heavy, though that's why it shoots so smoothly for such a small and lightweight 9mm pistol. Been toying with possibly getting a P380 for pocket carry as well?
    Last edited by djd100; 01-27-2024 at 12:57 PM.