Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Weight of Loaded Carry Guns

My grandpa lived about 5 miles back in the woods in Wolfeboro NH. His place had no electricity. They had an outhouse, a hand pump for water and a pot belly stove in the middle of the house for cooking and heat. He and my uncle were lumberjacks that basically lived in the forest. For cutting lumber they had a model T pickup up on blocks with the rear wheels off [and rear bed off] and a HUGE saw blade mounted in place of wheel to cut wood. They had many barrels of gun powder in barn next to outhouse and we were all told to not play near gun powder. One time us kids walked through woods to this pond only to see a family of LARGE BEARS on other side eyeing us......never knew we could run so fast.....that ended exploring when there. Ahhhh memories!
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

People were tough back in the day, they had to be, there were no bail outs during the depression and you had to work hard and scrap just to survive…….I wonder how far Gen Z would last if the power grid went out and there was no internet or social media to complain about how life isn’t fair to their generation anymore……..

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    ….I wonder how far Gen Z would last if the power grid went out and there was no internet or social media to complain about how life isn’t fair to their generation anymore……..
    They would all get on meds to deal with it Im sure. About 10 years ago my teenage daughter whined and whined for 2 days until it came back up. She got no sympathy from me or her mom (mom grew up poor in a squatter area in Asia so she had less sympathy than I did.)
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Man Army, you ARE old
    Nah. God willing, I won’t turn 80 until later this year.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Got an uncle in Missouri, just turned 92 a couple days ago. Still lived in his house by himself until I guess about a week ago and moved in with his son and family. Probably my favorite uncle, never heard a complaint out of him about anything. Everything was always just fine.

Hope he lives another 50 years.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Got an uncle in Missouri, just turned 92 a couple days ago. Still lived in his house by himself until I guess about a week ago and moved in with his son and family. Probably my favorite uncle, never heard a complaint out of him about anything. Everything was always just fine.

Hope he lives another 50 years.
    My Dad, born in Stanberry, grew up in Graham, Nodaway County - way up in the northwest part of Missourah. He was the first member of that branch of the family to graduate college (Mizzou - Class of 1933).
    My Mom was born & raised in Flat River (now Park Hills), St. Francois County south of St. Louis. Mom attended Flat River Junior College around 1928-29.
    They met in Jeff City and married in 1936.
    Quite a few cousins still living around there and in Nebraska & Iowa.
    Lots of family buried in both parts of the state.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

My 8 round SS Bul 1911 Commander in .38 super weighs in at 40 ounces loaded. A bit but not too bad.

If I get to crabbing about comfort I think of the 5 foot something female police officers who carry a Hi cap Glock, two or more spare mags, radio with external mic, body armor, flashlight, body cam, OC spray, cuffs, (maybe 2), a BUG, maybe a baton, stun gun, and steel toed shoes and pretty quickly I feel foolish about crabbing about the difference between my lightweight commander and the steel model :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    My Dad, born in Stanberry, grew up in Graham, Nodaway County - way up in the northwest part of Missourah. He was the first member of that branch of the family to graduate college (Mizzou - Class of 1933).
    My Mom was born & raised in Flat River (now Park Hills), St. Francois County south of St. Louis. Mom attended Flat River Junior College around 1928-29.
    They met in Jeff City and married in 1936.
    Quite a few cousins still living around there and in Nebraska & Iowa.
    Lots of family buried in both parts of the state.

Well Army, looks like my Dad and your Dad were neighbors. My Dad grew up in Bolckow, right next door in Missouri. He was in Army and was an MP during WW2 that was based out of Leavenworth. During WW2 his duty was hauling prisoners by rail from both the east and west coasts to Leavenworth.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    My 8 round SS Bul 1911 Commander in .38 super weighs in at 40 ounces loaded. A bit but not too bad.

If I get to crabbing about comfort I think of the 5 foot something female police officers who carry a Hi cap Glock, two or more spare mags, radio with external mic, body armor, flashlight, body cam, OC spray, cuffs, (maybe 2), a BUG, maybe a baton, stun gun, and steel toed shoes and pretty quickly I feel foolish about crabbing about the difference between my lightweight commander and the steel model :-)
    Exactly! I often time helped officers set up their duty belts. Some were really tough to get stuff onto the belt. Tight. And you want to get the stuff in an order that worked well. Having done that quite a bit I suggested the order and you didn't want to mess up cause you'd have to take everything off and do it again. One of the 5 foot something female officers once wanted me to do something on the duty belt and I was shocked how heavy that thing was overall. Most of the officers now day wear load bearing vest and most everything except the gun and mags goes on the vest. I can see where they would have back issues carrying all that stuff. The other issue was waist real estate. Just not enough space like the big guys.
    Took a class at the State Patrol academy one time and there was a cadet that had to be close to 7' tall. But his waist had to be like 24. Tall and Lean to the extreme.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post

I agree. I think this making a HUGE deal about weight is a new phenomenon. Men and women have been carrying steel pistols and revolvers for over a century now. Law enforcement of all weights, sizes, and ages have been walking around with heavier guns and equipment. Now we have grown able body men who can only carry a 14 +/- ounce j-frame or 20 ounce +/- micro 9mm; otherwise, they're complaining about how heavy the gun is for EDC. I often carry an S&W 686+ at 35 ounces unloaded (not sure of the loaded weight with 7 rounds) very comfortably without an issue.

I'm not sure how modern day gun owners would survive back in the days of low capacity and heavy handguns (no polymer existed) that mostly had DA/SA or DAO trigger pulls (no strike-fired handguns existed). I'm not sure they'd survive with SAO 1911s either because of their weight, and they act like they aren't smart enough to overcome the thumb safety. I'm not sure how they'd get by. Seems like there has been a steep drop in skill level of gun owners, and men seem to have become weaker versus 40 or more years ago. Not only could men of all ages in the past carry heavier firearms without issue, but they could also out shoot most of these modern-day strike-fired trigger snobs using revolvers with long heavy DAO triggers. I can understand why weight could be a huge factor with those who are older and/or those with medical conditions and limitations, however...