Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight of Loaded Carry Guns

Light Bulb Weight of Loaded Carry Guns

Just for kicks I pulled out the digital scale.
    And weighted my loaded carry guns for today.

HK VP9SK with Holosun SCS Green Dot.
    Flush mag loaded with 12 +1 Federal HST Micro 9mm 150 gr ammo.
    30.2 oz

Ruger LCP II.
    Flush mag loaded with 6+1 Hornady 380 XTP Custom 90 gr ammo.
    13.4 oz

Technical Note:
    And since I had the scale out anyway.
    Actual weight with an unloaded magazine.
    IWI Galil ACE Gen 1 308 pistol with brace - 8.46 lbs
    HK SP5K pistol with brace - 5.42 lbs

That is all...

For many years, my every day wardrobe has been a Carhart Tee shirt and Wrangler cargo pants/shorts. Since I usually carry a CCO 1911, and a LCR, plus one mag, and a speed strip, knife, flashlight, torniquet, multitool. I wear suspenders underneath my tee shirt. Helps a lot with all the weight. My wife used to say, my cargo pants were just a man purse. BTW, I use Wilderness Tactical belts, currently using a frequent flyer with the polymer insert. Highly recommend.
    Edit: Got me curious, weighed it all on my wife's kitchen scale. 4.5 pounds, not counting my wallet, phone and keys.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    For many years, my every day wardrobe has been a Carhart Tee shirt and Wrangler cargo pants/shorts. Since I usually carry a CCO 1911, and a LCR, plus one mag, and a speed strip, knife, flashlight, torniquet, multitool. I wear suspenders underneath my tee shirt. Helps a lot with all the weight. My wife used to say, my cargo pants were just a man purse. BTW, I use Wilderness Tactical belts, currently using a frequent flyer with the polymer insert. Highly recommend.
    Edit: Got me curious, weighed it all on my wife's kitchen scale. 4.5 pounds, not counting my wallet, phone and keys.
    I've been using the Wilderness belts since 2011..........

The weight of a fully loaded handgun is an interesting problem. Years ago. I would pop my 14oz loaded 340pd in a leather pocket holster and I was good to go. Retired, and took a job as an RSO/instructor and my work carry guns got larger and much heavier. Enter the P365 and the perfect carry weight for me and for the most part, if I am wearing pants, that gun is on me in one configuration of another. I have no aversion to the lighter guns but with them comes less capacity and in todays world, more ammo may be a good thing. As for full size high capacity, they now reside in my safe seldom used but not forgotten.

One word about support, I am tall and thin and I always carry AIWB. Years ago I switched all my carry belts to those from https://abetterbeltusa.com/. I have three in various colors of buffalo and after a decade they still look like new. Their reinforced belts will support a lot of weight and keep your pants up where they belong. Buy once, cry once but in my case cry three times

"Never pet a burning dog"

Far and away my favorite gun belt is a Galco leather 1 3/4" SB5

I’ve been using 5.11 leather belts with the polymer insert , from Strikers law enforcement supply for every day use for 10 years now. They are very stiff. About the third or fourth year the insert will break. Tomorrow I’m putting a leather Vedder belt with the polymer insert into service. These are everyday carry use and IDPA. Let the experiment begin.

I either wear a Bigfoot gun belt that has a steel core or a nexbelt because of its multiple adjustments.

they support about whatever I want to carry.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I like the Wilderness Tactical's because there aren't any holes, you can adjust to just the right tension. This feature had more benefits when I was working, and sometimes carried IWB. The instructor belt is my favorite, but the frequent flyer is really good if you fly often, no metal, so you don't have to remove it at the airport security checks.
    NRA Benefactor

Cool Galco SB5

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    I like the Wilderness Tactical's because there aren't any holes, you can adjust to just the right tension. This feature had more benefits when I was working, and sometimes carried IWB. The instructor belt is my favorite, but the frequent flyer is really good if you fly often, no metal, so you don't have to remove it at the airport security checks.
    I own two of those (Winderness Instructor) belts.
    The velcro is coming off one of them
    Like them mostly but find the Galco SB5 is much more comfortable for all day wear
    And mine seem to last forever.
    It is a standard belt with holes though...

PM9 magguts7+1 SpeerLE GoldDot 115: 20.36 oz + 2.78oz for the Kydex holster

AIWB UltiClipped to pant waist, not belt (dress slacks, jeans, or shorts) and my belt is either a cordovan or black full-grain leather, sturdy 1-1/4" belt buckle offset at 10-11 o'clock.