Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Kahr X9 doublestack early-look video

In my neck of South Carolina, it's becoming too crowded. My little town has tripled in size in the last 15 years.
    Read somewhere, that the destination for retirees is Florida, Arizona, South Carolina, North Carolina in that order. I'm sticking around until my Mom passes, then I'm leaning towards Tennessee (Somewhere just north of Chattanooga).
    Did a six month contract job over there about 8 years ago. Not as crowded, once you get out of town. Gun friendly, no income tax, but sales tax is near 10%, property taxes for an average home are 12-1500 per year. (Not in Town, in town double that). Of course, I checked out all the local gun stores in the area. One thing that was different for me, was they charge for a background check, when you buy a pistol. If you are doing an out of state FFL transfer, there are two fees, one for the background check, and one for the transfer. I don't know if that is a state thing, or just a local thing. For instance, transfer a pistol via the internet. $15 for the background check, then if you pass, $15 for the transfer. This way if you don't pass, they still get paid for the time. I was told if you have conceal carry permit, they waive the background fee.

Like I mentioned, the sales tax is high, one governor mentioned adding an income tax, BAM, he was gone.
    The Georgia border is just south of Chattanooga, the first exit in Georgia, has Bass Pro Shop, and a Costco.
    NRA Benefactor

Those transfers really ain't that bad. Here for an internet transfer they get anywhere from 25 to 50 for the transfer/background check, that's determined by the FFL. Now the state is adding an 18 dollar fee for the state check. They also made it a requirement to take a firearms safety class. You do it online, takes 5 minutes. No questions, just read the common sense BS and print out the certificate. Total waste of time.
    We used to be able to do an instant check and pickup a gun at time of purchase with a permit. I miss those days.
    No more AR's for us, 10 round mag limits, and any semi auto requires a check like a handgun. Actually now all firearms have a mandatory 10 day waiting period. Might just meet ya in Tennessee.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Who knows, might just buy my brother out, and move into my mom's house. 1950's ranch, 3 brm, 1 bath. 1/2 mile to the nearest neighbor. But... you are in the middle of nowhere. Nearest Lowes is 30 miles, 20 miles to Walmart. There is a Piggly Wiggly about 6 miles away. Finding contractors to do work, around the house is a challenge. But..SC is gun friendly too. Transfer fees around me are anywhere from 20-35 dollars, depending on the dealer.
    NRA Benefactor

We'll be moving from Florida to NC to retire. Our 1 acre lot is just east of the TN/NC border so Chattanooga is IIRC 1.5 hours away.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Well, my 25 acres out in the country was a potential place to build our “forever” home, but unfortunately that evaporated when the US Grand Prix F1 racetrack, “Circuit of the Americas”, was built 10 years ago a stone’s throw down the street.
    Then this half million square foot industrial distribution facility of the 50;acres right next door.

https://cdn1.austinchamber.com/%20ed...100.1707412605
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Before the wifey and I ended up where we're at, we seriously thought about where we wanted to live. I thought of a few states that could be ok, so did the wifey, and we decided to stay in our home state. For the taxes we pay, and the services we get, along with our nice roads, I can't complain. Overall, I think it's a well-run state, and they seem to be able to keep enough conservatives in the Legislature to keep a rein on liberal agendas. We have a large contingent of hunters, excellent fishing, and winter sports. We have legal open carry and conceal carry, no waiting periods on firearm purchases, no mag limits. Our transfers are between $30-50 with $13 going to the state.......... In my county, I pay less property tax for a larger home with land than I did in the city with a smaller home and no land. There aren't too many contingencies in my area, so shooting isn't an issue. I hear shooting every day at some point or another. A very well armed county. The weather here this year has been better overall than many of the "warm" states. Many of those "warm" states are going to be shopping for water in the near future, when they run their wells/rivers/lakes dry. I'm surrounded by water and the state has plenty of it. Also, with our current border issue, I like being far away from the madness. So far, my state isn't going into debt supporting people who are here illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Who knows, might just buy my brother out, and move into my mom's house. 1950's ranch, 3 brm, 1 bath. 1/2 mile to the nearest neighbor. But... you are in the middle of nowhere. Nearest Lowes is 30 miles, 20 miles to Walmart. There is a Piggly Wiggly about 6 miles away. Finding contractors to do work, around the house is a challenge. But..SC is gun friendly too. Transfer fees around me are anywhere from 20-35 dollars, depending on the dealer.
    Thats a joke where I live. Whenever someone asks how far someplace is, we just say an hour. Everything is an hour. You get used to it. Once every 6 weeks, we drive an hour and a half to Woodmans and stock up on groceries. Cheaper than going to the local grocery which is still a half hour drive. Walmart is 20 minutes. Hardware store is 20 minutes. Many FFL's in the area. 5-gun shops withing 45 minutes. Cabela's would be an hour. Costco would be an hour. It's all worth the peace and quiet.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Thanks. Shipping in June, and nice to view an X9 demo video where the magazine doesn't start slipping out.
    Also, I like the look of JM's baseball cap; might pick one up.