Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: K9 slide stop broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt 127 View Post
    Mine gave zero indication. Of course, I never looked at it prior, who would think.

As I stated “annoying”. The gun still ran. Obviously didn’t lock open on the last shot. It, quite literally, just fell off during a string of fire.

But. If I were you, flex it, see if it snaps and get a new one free 😁. Or…order a spare now.
    I'm going to call Kahr to inquire about what materials they're made out of. I am wondering if the two peice construction is a fix for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 187911 View Post
    Can you share a picture?
    I tried to get a pic but the quality of the close-up was poor... all but worthless.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Since the K9 was the first Kahr model, and the slide stop is very intricate. Being a MIM part is very possible. It could be the driver for the later day slide stop design. I have a K9 and a K40 with the old style stops. The K9 has north of 10k round without an issue, guess I've been lucky.

Upon further research, I believe it is an investment casted part, still not MIM.
    Last edited by kenemoore; 02-16-2024 at 09:13 AM.
    NRA Benefactor

I, too, believed that the K9's (and the other "premium" Kahrs) are absent MIM. I'm very surprised by this! Checking the slide stop on my 2017 K9 EDC right now!

(Is there a foolproof way of determining whether a part is MIM?)

ETA: Evidently, mine is what you all are calling the "Old style. One piece. Tapered end" model.

rx7sig

if it snaps, it was probably cast or MIM….

😁

I’m pretty sure that’s investment cast. That “seam” is pretty indicative.

From the responses, I don’t think it’s really something to worry about. Pretty fluke event.

And, as I said. It didn’t stop the gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I too, belief the old style slide stop is NOT MIM, but is an investment casting. Ruger has been using these for years with their revolvers, and we all know Ruger's are reliable. In fact Ruger often produces investment casting services to other firearm vendors. So...I believe you have encountered the one in a bunch casting failure. Cast not MIM. Perhaps that is why they changed, in later models. All in, I prefer the cast slide stop to the new model, because I have had that small spring to fail.
    NRA Benefactor

A very comprehensive piece on MIM vs cast. https://redstonemanufacturing.com/me...s-die-casting/ A long but worthwhile read.

I have the old style slide stop which I think is two piece. You can see where the two pieces are attached but maybe that's some sort of casting mark?
    My guess is if it is two piece, the piece that inserts into the frame is milled from bar stock tool steel and the other piece is cast or maybe MIM.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    I have the old style slide stop which I think is two piece. You can see where the two pieces are attached but maybe that's some sort of casting mark?
    My guess is if it is two piece, the piece that inserts into the frame is milled from bar stock tool steel and the other piece is cast or maybe MIM.
    That is the new style.
    NRA Benefactor

Interesting. Mine has the tapered end. I wonder when the transition was made to the 2-piece design?