Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions needed please MK9 or MK40?

Default Opinions needed please MK9 or MK40?

I found one example of each of these in like new condition online both of the same price basically give or take $10. I previously owned an mk40 a little three that was a great gun and I didn't find the recall objectionable. However I've shot a canine and I've also owned a P9 and a PM9 the PM9 with plus P or plus P plus ammo can get a little jumpy but nothing that wasn't manageable or controllable.

Currently have a PM 45 with a DLC finish and night sights that's my current EDC and it does work well as a pocket gun and most of my pockets. I'm thinking going with the MK9 for better suitability cheaper ammo and all that jazz

If I could afford to buy both I would LOL what would you guys pick out of the two? I love 45 but I'm a big 9mm fan as well absolutely nothing well when a 9 mm specially with modern hollow points they're all pretty much about the same so it's not a caliber deal I'm thinking the MK9 carries an extra round and it's actually a little bit lighter than the mk40 to do it slightly thin or slide. Thanks for the info guys..

Quote Originally Posted by Kahrfan78 View Post
    I found one example of each of these in like new condition online both of the same price basically give or take $10. I previously owned an mk40 a little three that was a great gun and I didn't find the recall objectionable. However I've shot a canine and I've also owned a P9 and a PM9 the PM9 with plus P or plus P plus ammo can get a little jumpy but nothing that wasn't manageable or controllable.

Currently have a PM 45 with a DLC finish and night sights that's my current EDC and it does work well as a pocket gun and most of my pockets. I'm thinking going with the MK9 for better suitability cheaper ammo and all that jazz

If I could afford to buy both I would LOL what would you guys pick out of the two? I love 45 but I'm a big 9mm fan as well absolutely nothing well when a 9 mm specially with modern hollow points they're all pretty much about the same so it's not a caliber deal I'm thinking the MK9 carries an extra round and it's actually a little bit lighter than the mk40 to do it slightly thin or slide. Thanks for the info guys..
    Key points from your post:

1. "I'm a big 9mm fan as well"
    2. "MK9 carries an extra round"
    3. "MK9 for better suitability cheaper ammo"

I think this is a question only you can answer. Seems like you answered your own question in your post and that you're leaning towards a 9mm.

Since you asked what I would choose, I prefer 40s&w over 9mm, so I'd get the MK40. I know the forum mod and others are recoil sensitive and wouldn't choose the MK40, but I've shot the MK9, MK40, K9, and K40. I didn't find the recoil or follow-up shots to be bad at all. I've fired small polymer frame 9mms that were much worse than shooting the steel frame 40s&w's. Other than that, there is only a 1 ounce difference in weight between the MK9 vs MK40, so it's not something you'll notice in hand or while carrying.

I typically pocket carry a revolver as a back-up gun, but I sometimes pocket carry my MK40 when I start to miss it.

True I am leaning towards the 9mm but it's not like 40 ammo is going anywhere anytime soon either. My previous MK40 wasn't bad at all in the recoil department. I used to have a PM9 that with +P ammo recoiled more than the MK40 so I agree sith you there as well. Maybe I will get the Mk40 instead. I really love my PM45 DLC finish it's a very soft shooting 45 especially when you take into account it's size and weight. While I've got nothing against 9mm I own a Beretta 92FS, it doesn't appear that the 40 caliber is less load specific when it comes to good performing hollow points.

Of course all handguns are under powered and shot placement is Paramount there is no magic death rate bullet as we know. But your point is valid sir why not throw a bigger bullet from the same size and weight platform assuming you could shoot it just as well any advantage is still an advantage when it comes down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahrfan78 View Post
    True I am leaning towards the 9mm but it's not like 40 ammo is going anywhere anytime soon either. My previous MK40 wasn't bad at all in the recoil department. I used to have a PM9 that with +P ammo recoiled more than the MK40 so I agree sith you there as well. Maybe I will get the Mk40 instead. I really love my PM45 DLC finish it's a very soft shooting 45 especially when you take into account it's size and weight. While I've got nothing against 9mm I own a Beretta 92FS, it doesn't appear that the 40 caliber is less load specific when it comes to good performing hollow points.

Of course all handguns are under powered and shot placement is Paramount there is no magic death rate bullet as we know. But your point is valid sir why not throw a bigger bullet from the same size and weight platform assuming you could shoot it just as well any advantage is still an advantage when it comes down to it.
    If the price points are simular, the MK9 will be in more demand by more buyers. It will have higher trade value. The MK40 maybe harder to find in the future as Kahr has discontinued them. Just more food for thought.

I would think that the only question would be ammo availability/prices in the future. I pocket carried an MK9 for over 8 yrs. My preferred caliber is .40. I had other .40 cal firearms, so a 9mm filled a need. If you already have a .45 cal. I would get the 9mm for cost savings. You'll probably have a chance in the future to purchase an MK40....................

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I would think that the only question would be ammo availability/prices in the future. I pocket carried an MK9 for over 8 yrs. My preferred caliber is .40. I had other .40 cal firearms, so a 9mm filled a need. If you already have a .45 cal. I would get the 9mm for cost savings. You'll probably have a chance in the future to purchase an MK40....................
    On the other hand, Kahr stopped making the MK40 and K40, but they're still pushing out the MK9 and K9. It would be great if someone offered a 9mm conversion barrel for the MK40.

I wouldn't say I'm recoil sensitive exactly. I find the recoil on my K40 to be too much for a defensive carry gun. Too much time and effort to get back on target for a follow up shot. Mid size guns like the XD's and Glocks etc, I had no issue with in 40 at all. I actually had several Glock 40's, all sold to other officers when they became hard to get during I believe the Clinton dynasty.

I'm not a devout 9mm fan actually but given these choices I'd go with the 9 myself. And due to cost, age, and several other factors I find myself with a 9mm 1911, although I still prefer the 45 for serious business.

Kahr not making the 40 at present is I'm told a temporary thing. They may start producing them again in the future and hopefully they will. A lot of 40 fans out there.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. Bawanna you make a good point as well I do already have a PM45 DLC and believe it or not its a smoother shooter than the MK40 I used to hsve. You would think the opposite with the PM45 being such a small lightweight gun.

I more recently also had a CM40 which I didn't find uncontrollable but pushing after a out 50 rounds of 40 JHP ammo. I much prefer my PM45 and the DLC finish is holding up great in South Florida here too. No surface rust even after days of carrying it. I think I decided on the MK9 but just got an email telling it may sell locally tomorrow.
    If so I've already located another used one in great condition.

I also have a PM45 which is probably my favorite of the kahr line, except on somedays where the T9 wins the day. Wouldn't mind shooting a T40 to see what that feels like.
    My first Kahr was a K40, carried it for quite awhile, probably should still be but I get this gotta have a new gun fever sometimes. Seems like the older I get the more often it strikes.
    For some unexplainable reason right now I got a hankering for a 32 Flintlock squirrel rifle. I can't even explain it to myself. I have some percussion rifles, 54, 45, never shot a flinter. Guess that's reason enough.????
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

In my opinion, buy whichever one you can find first (or cheapest).

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7261.jpg