Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Checkering my Tisas

Default Checkering my Tisas

I figured I hijacked enough of Bird's Polishing Project yesterday. Sorry about that Bird!

Today I tried my hand at checkering 30lpi. I did my Tisas Carry .45 Stainless Commander. I have to say that overall this one was harder than the 25lpi I did on the RIA. The horizonal lines were easier to lay down, but the verticals were harder, and painful. I ended up with a blister on the middle finger of my right hand. Seems that the finer checkering means that there isn't as much meat between the lines and so it takes much more care to make sure the verticals (which I did last), stay on track. Keeping the file in between the lines is harder to do. All in all though I'm happy with it. I like the feel of the finer checkering. It looks fine but I'm sure under a microscope or even a very close inspection with the naked eye not every checker would have a needle point to it.

Once again I was pleased to find that the horizontal lines lined up with the bottom of the magwell.

Once I get the riffler files I ordered I'll take one to the top edge to clean it up a bit.

I think doing this to an alloy frame would be both easier and harder. Easier to remove the material, but also easier to get off track and less forgiving if you did. On the SS if you slip a bit it's no big deal because there isn't much taken out with each stroke. With aluminum I think that a slip could easily make a goof that would be permanently visible. So it might be harder to do given the extra care it would require to stay within the lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks fantastic! You might also try cutting the vertical lines first. I know with wood one would also think the crossing cuts would be easier but sometimes depending on the wood it's not the case. It's best to do the hard or difficult spots first, then go cross ways second. Did that make a lick of sense?

If the vertical lines are harder to do, (which I always figured they would be even though I have no idea about metal checkering, I would cut those first on a clean slate.

Just my 2 cents, not worth the electronic impulses these computers use to do stuff.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks Colonel. I'm hesitant to try the verticals first because while I have the 1/4" by 3" plastic guide for those cuts, I only have the zip ties for the horizontal cuts. And so I'm thinking that it would be harder to keep the horizontal cuts perpendicular to the vertical with only that little bit of zip ties to hold the file against.

I think the primary reason the vertical lines are such a challenge is because the file is hopping over the high spots on the horizontal lines making it harder to keep the file seated. The plastic guide helps alot in keeping the file straight with the frame. Perhaps if I went really lightly in the process of taking a week that I originally thought I'd take it would be easier to do. But this job took me the same amount of time that yesterday's did, so my patience muscle is obviously not getting stronger.

Oh how I'd like to have some garbage frames to experiment with! Not gonna happen though given that as things stand in our state I'd have to jump through too many hoops, and pay too much money to the state in order to buy old, worn out serialized frames for that purpose.

That looks really nice.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Thank you Sir

What is that in the trigger guard on the 3rd picture? It's a 45 case in something, can't figure it out.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

It's one of the feet that came with my dishwasher, that I didn't need. A 9mm case fits in it perfectly. I had to drill this one out to get a 45 in it. All plastic so I can stick it through the trigger guard and lean the gun on it without scratching anything.

Never would have guessed that in about a million years. Like my place, nothing goes to waste, nothing gets tossed although a lot probably should get tossed.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

No sorry necessary dao! But, your hard work and great results demand it’s own thread here. Your checkering and other improvements have taken those little guns to the next level.
    Just a thought… maybe cheap bb guns could be had to practice on? Not sure what the laws are where you live as far as those go.
    Does not look like you need practice though. I’d have confidence enough to have you do one for me.
    I just noticed, but I like how Tisas undercut that trigger guard

Outstanding!
    NRA Benefactor