Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Checkering my Tisas

The hard part about raw frames is manufacturers have to account for everyone they make. If they mess up they have to somehow prove it was destroyed. I tried to get some for grip models from several places including Kahr and all apologetically responded that it couldn't be done. I remember many years ago at a gun show a fella had many stripped gun frames, at the time I didn't see the need. I should have bought several.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'm going to touch both of them up when my files get here, and probably put a wider finish line at the top of each front strap.

Something occurred to me this morning Bird, if you have the right jig. I think you could do skip line checkering by just doing one file width, then moving the jib to a stop one line lower as a new starting point, and doing another file width. edit: Now that I think about it though, the skipped line doesn't have vertical lines going through it. So I guess this must be a machined method.

I've tried to find this jig, and I'm on Brownell's waiting list. I think with this it could be done. Though in looking at it more closely now that I've done without it a couple of times, I'm not sure how it could be used to start the vertical lines. I wouldn't want to rely on that thin piece for that. I guess this could be used to get the horizontal lines started and then switch over to the HDPE to start the verticals. I saw another jig somewhere that looked like a large horseshoe magnet, and it clamped over the front strap so that you had the whole width of the jig to use for staring the hori. lines. But it too lacked any kind of stabilization for the vertical lines.

I don't know what skip line would look like since your lines are 90 degrees to each other. Your creating squares rather than diamonds. Checkering wood is at an angle determined by how long you want your diamonds to be. I usually go 3-1 or 3 1/2-1. Meaning the diamond is 3 times longer than it is wide if that makes a lick of sense. Way back when they did checker 1-1 so but I never seen skip line like that. Don't mean it isn't there. Remember I don't get out much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Nice skills you guys have developed.
    I can’t even file my fingernails properly.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Thanks AB!

It doesn't take me long to find my way around. After looking in vain for Bird's "Starting a new polishing project" a couple of days ago, yesterday I happened upon the 1911 forum (where he placed it). I've posted replies in that thread, and forum before but I don't think I've started a thread in it.

Part of the reason I find it hard to remember where things are is that this board doesn't provide the path to a particular post like some do. So I don't really pay attention to where the posts lie. But since my memory is now refreshed concering the 1911 forum, after I've finished touching up the two stainless Officer 1911's I'm going to open a new thread there with before, during, and finished pictures of both, as well any new jobs I attempt will be put in that thread also. Of course that hinges on whether or not I remember where I put the first two.

You can search for keywords. I never pay attention to which thread or forum stuff is in too. Sometimes I want to add something and gosh durned if I can find where it's at. Since we often get completely off track in some conversations it's easy to get lost. Wouldn't change it for the world. So Birds fooling around with other forums too? I'm hurt, right down to the quick. Show me on the kitchen floor curled up in a fatal position.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

No, I meant his thread on this board, "Starting a new 1911 polishing project". It's in the 1911 forum here, on this board.

https://www.kahrtalk.com/forumdispla...5-1911-Pistols

WOW great job! There sure is some great talent here. I guess I will break out my new book and use my skills......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Try to stay between the lines Jeep. I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    I'm going to touch both of them up when my files get here, and probably put a wider finish line at the top of each front strap.

Something occurred to me this morning Bird, if you have the right jig. I think you could do skip line checkering by just doing one file width, then moving the jib to a stop one line lower as a new starting point, and doing another file width. edit: Now that I think about it though, the skipped line doesn't have vertical lines going through it. So I guess this must be a machined method.

I've tried to find this jig, and I'm on Brownell's waiting list. I think with this it could be done. Though in looking at it more closely now that I've done without it a couple of times, I'm not sure how it could be used to start the vertical lines. I wouldn't want to rely on that thin piece for that. I guess this could be used to get the horizontal lines started and then switch over to the HDPE to start the verticals. I saw another jig somewhere that looked like a large horseshoe magnet, and it clamped over the front strap so that you had the whole width of the jig to use for staring the hori. lines. But it too lacked any kind of stabilization for the vertical lines.
    I wonder if they are/aren’t machine made. But, the Colonel may know best. Looking through his Emporium thead the other day, I saw a set of grips he made that were half checkered. If I remember correctly, half of the half was regular checkering and the other was skip line? Colonel, did I see that/say that correct? If so, how in the world did you pull that off? Don’t be holdin out on me & dao. Your secrets are safe with us!