Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Xssights

Thread: Checkering my Rock Island

Default Checkering my Rock Island

25lpi. Start to finish.

I went back at it today after the initial 5.5 hours in order to touch things up and put the finishing touches on it.

Turned out I should have reapplied the zip ties because I ended up slipping and creating a few oopses that I had to mask. Not entirely unhappy with it, and the pyramids are now much sharper than they were, creating a very positive but not uncomfortable grip.

I received my riffler files in the mail today and used what is essentialy a very small rat tail round file in order to make a wider border at the top. It was when I was going over the verticals with the checkering file though that it slipped and scratched the front strap under the part that is now polished to match the flats on the frame. I had no other way to remove the two worst of them. One is still visible, but it will remind me to take more care in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And a couple more
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dao; 03-07-2024 at 03:22 PM.

The oopsies don't jumo out. At least not in those pics. I know we are our own worst critics, so understand your making a thing about it. Maybe some high # grit sandpaper wrapped around a narrow, flat needle file to slowly, mildly polish the oopsie?
    Lol on the grips. I thought I was the only one who could not settle. I do like the zombie greens. I liked those sand toned one's you posted the other day the bestest. 😁 Not my gun tho! 😁 Either way, you"ve made a humdrum, run of the mill into a BBQ/Custom pageant runner!

Thanks Bird.

I did manage to sand/polish the two biggest slips out. Looks "ok" that way, at least on this gun. If it was a more expensive piece, or something with sentimental value I'd be highly miffed. I'll be finishing up my Tisas tomorrow, and this time I'll make sure to protect the areas that shouldn't be messed with before I go at it. I'm also going to file in the finish line of the checkering, at the top before doing anything else, so that will help. This whole thing has been a learning exercise. Took this one, in a rug to my LGS today and showed it to him. He was pretty impressed. Made me feel good.

Reading all these post about checkering, makes me want to checker my K40. But I'm not that patient, and not un-happy with skate board tape. If I did not love my K9 and K40 so much, I might give one of them a try. Extremely scared of screwing up.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Reading all these post about checkering, makes me want to checker my K40. But I'm not that patient, and not un-happy with skate board tape. If I did not love my K9 and K40 so much, I might give one of them a try. Extremely scared of screwing up.
    I share that scared feeling of screwing up on most everything I do these days. I got a few I'd love to have front straps checkered on but like you I'm good with the soft rubbery skateboard tape. (for now).
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

You know, I never even thought about checkering my Kahr MK40. If I had a stainless (non-black), K9 I'd seriously consider doing that since I carry it from time to time. Hmmmm.