Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Checkering my Tisas SS Carry

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Since I'm now finished with both, and I put a thread in this forum for the RIA, here's what my Tisas looks like start to finish. I'm not sure if I didn't like it better without the "border" on the top, but I found it quite hard to go back over it to finish cutting the pyramids until they were sharp, without running the file up onto the front strap above the top line. So it became necesary to touch up those errors by filing in a border. Doesn't look bad, but the factory checkering I have on other guns does not include a border. Machines, when set up correctly do not cut beyond the lines they are programmed to stop at. I guess I'd make a poor machine.
    After working on each gun for a bit more than 5 hours each I didn't feel inclined to completely finish them on the days I worked on them. But by waiting for some time before going back to them I found that it is possible to finish the cuts nicer so that the tops of the pyramids are pointed. Each of them feels much more grippier in hand now than before. I now feel that 30lpi would be better on a lightweight frame because if the gun jumps around during firing the 20lpi would act like a grater. As in cheese grater.
    I also took the opportunity to install a solid trigger in the gun while I had it apart to put the finishing touches on it. You can see this between the third and fourth pictures.
    I've been lurking here...
    I didn't look back on the other threads to determine what type of files you used, but want to ask...
    What type of files you used here and if it was what I call riffler files that are curved.
    They are easier to end a groove without a lot of over-run.
    CurvedS.jpg
    If that's what you used, well, never mind.
    Last edited by Tilos; 03-08-2024 at 09:10 PM.
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

That's a nice set. I use a few doing wood. Like to have a set like that. Dang it, now I gotta going shopping again.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    There has been a couple of times where my CC got hacked and the CC company was good about it. I like how now I can get a text every time a charge is made too. That works for keeping up with the wife’s charges. Fortunately she hasn’t figured it out yet where she can get a text to track my firearm related purchases.
    I like the text idea! Wish they did that with mine. I’m like the Colonel, where I don’t know until I get a rejected card.
    Nice thing you with the wife not knowing. Mine is a hawk. Could be mid day while she’s at work. I’ll buy something and a few minutes later she text me “Did you buy something for $34.97?” Can’t get away with anything around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilos View Post
    I didn't look back on the other threads to determine what type of files you used, but want to ask...
    What type of files you used here and if it was what I call riffler files that are curved.
    They are easier to end a groove without a lot of run-over.
    CurvedS.jpg
    Never seen a set like that

CurvedS.jpg
    This is the set that I have. I used one of the riffler files but then finished each job with one of the round files in this set. I would have liked to need to use just the riffler but because of a couple of slips with the checkering file (on each gun), I needed to make the border at the top larger and for that I found the round file what was needed to finish up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CurvedS.jpg
    I stole that pic off of MSC:
    Value Collection - File Set: 12 Pc, Swiss - 00647206 - MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)
    There are a lot of different sets there, some are $500+, I'm guessing those are diamond:
    File Sets - MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)
    so there's that,
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Was just looking myself, there's lots of different sets out there. Some are rasp, diamond and some they call smooth or medium cut. Everywhere from 10 bucks to really big bucks. Trying to decide how badly I need them. I have some individual files I've accumulated, none were new but they'll probably get the job done for me for a while longer.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    This is the set that I have. I used one of the riffler files but then finished each job with one of the round files in this set. I would have liked to need to use just the riffler but because of a couple of slips with the checkering file (on each gun), I needed to make the border at the top larger and for that I found the round file what was needed to finish up.
    Nice
    I have used thread files to cut "checkering" in wood, I think it was 32 TPI but it could have been 27 or 28 TPI.
    Your checkering looks finer than that though, and thread files are 60 degrees.
    Anyway, here's some thread files at MSC:
    Value Collection - 7/16 x 8-3/8″ External Pipe Thread Restoring File - 79342176 - MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)
    So yeh, TPI is threads per inch which would be lines per inch (LPI?) as to checkering.

I paid $22 for mine in the red sleeves, used. The checkering of this gun was 30lpi (lines per inch), the Rock Island I did in 25lpi. I used actual checkering files for them. And those files come in 20, 25, and 30. At least that's all I've seen them in.

You know, my CZ-PCR just has vertical lines running up the front and back strap. Maybe 3/8" wide, I would guess the lines would be the same as about 25 tpi.. It works pretty good. Way better than nothing. Never felt the need for skateboard tape.
    Have you tried just a few vertical lines, to see how it felt?
    NRA Benefactor