Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K-9 magazine variations?

Default K-9 magazine variations?

My used, older K9 came with two magazines. They are simply marked Kahr.

One of the magazines nosedives a round with disturbing regularity. No rhyme or reason, just in the middle of a string. It’s an original that came with the gun.

As soon as I bought the gun, I ordered three new mags. Marked 9-7 Kahr. Run flawlessly.

Worth buying new springs and or followers or, have there been design changes in the mags?

Since only one of the older mags seems to be acting up, I’m guessing it sat loaded, for a long time, and the spring took a set. It seems easier to push down than the new ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could swap springs out of one of the new magazines, same with the follower. If it works, then a new spring or follower or both is a relatively cheap fix.

I agree with leaving the mag loaded for a long time might be the culprit although I've never had that effect mine. I used to be quite regular about swapping magazines so they get time to rest, but find I do that less and less. Must be getting lazy or something.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The follower on your original mag looks a little wonky. Could be the angle, but the steel insert used to life the slide stop up looks offset. Are they identical when you take them apart and put them side by side?

Thanks for making me take them apart. Good suggestion.

Old left. New right.

Follower looks ok. But, the spring has definitely taken a set, and is shorter.

Has anyone tried the Lakeland aluminum followers? Kinda pricey. But, look nice. Not sure it’s worth the money.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leaving magazines loaded does not weaken or damage the springs. That's an assumptive myth.

To answer @sgt 127's question, yes, I've purchased 3 aluminum Lakeland aluminum followers and several Wolff extra power magazine springs. I use those magazines for EDC as I carry two extra reloads in a double mag pouch.

FYI, springs on ner magazines will always be taller than springs on even lighty used magazines. If I take my extra power Wolff springs out the mag and compare it to the string of a new or very lightly used factory magazine, the standard
    power factory magazine will be taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt 127 View Post
    Thanks for making me take them apart. Good suggestion.

Old left. New right.

Follower looks ok. But, the spring has definitely taken a set, and is shorter.

Has anyone tried the Lakeland aluminum followers? Kinda pricey. But, look nice. Not sure it’s worth the money.
    As suggested, I would replace the magazine spring. They aren't that expensive, so I'd just replace both magazines springs that are in the 2 used magazines that you got with the gun.

You can buy a pack of 3 from Wolff for $17.29. I haven't had any issues with them.

I have no direct experience with Lakelines followers but I've heard nothing but good things about them and know they are a class act outfit. Met the owner, lives the other side of the mountains from me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yep. I agree. I think magazines get more wear from cycling through compression cycles than leaving them loaded.

And, you are right. Magazine springs generally take a “set” after just a few uses. And, should maintain the strength necessary to function reliably from that point forward. I assume the initial length and strength are built into the design.

But,,for some reason, that one magazine is having issues. The other one.im guessing same age, seems fine. Maybe the previous owner only used that one magazine, the entire time he owned it. Who knows.

But, it’s a really cheap fix and, doesn’t reflect negatively on the gun at all.

I see magazines as almost disposable.

I have several of the Lakeline followers. Al came out with them right after it was discovered that the CM9's (especially), were breaking Kahr's new followers which do not have the metal button from pushing the slide stop up. I can recommend them as being of good quality, and I've never had any problems with mine.

I've had to replace four broken plastic Kahr followers with Lakeland followers. Never any problems. If I were going to carry a Kahr I'd replace the original for a metal one.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.