Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P380: not for me

Default Kahr P380: not for me

I fell in love with this gun when I saw it.
    And that’s despite tons of negative online reviews.
    Somehow I was hoping I won’t be one of those unhappy customers.
    Here is my experience with this pistol:
    First 200 break-in rounds: 60% malfunctions
    next 300 rounds: the same.
    Sent for repair (took one month and half to get it back)
    Tried 4 different types of ammo, including the best recommended for this gun,
    Hornady critical defense.
    Still 70-80% malfunctions, mostly FTF and FTE.
    Don’t want to send it back for service although offered:
    one Kahr owner said he sent it 5 times and gun is still faulty.
    I will have to consign it because factory doesn’t not offer refund for defective products.
    My opinion is something is fundamentally wrong with this pistol, it needs to be reengineered.

Sorry for your bad experience. More often than not these things work themselves out but you've given it a plenty good chance.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I own 1 of these and 2 CW380s. I love them. The only serious problem I had was with another P380 which I bought used. One day it started having problems that would not go away despite many trips back. Finally they discovered the frame itself had failed -almost imperceptible but just enough to cause these issues. Kahr replaced the frame, which was a PITA because that's the serial numbered part. But it did run great again for a long time until I gave it away.
    I'm saying if you'd really like to get a good one, maybe keep trying. Really nothing to lose. If you're not carrying it now anyway, just keep sending it in as long as they pay shipping. And don't waste much ammo trying if its not right. Just fire a few mags, and send it in again. Persistence will pay off.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Good plan.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I love my 2 P380s. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I'm wondering what Kahr did to repair it when you sent it in? They should have sent you a report. I didn't see how much shooting experience you have but if you're new to small handguns, maybe have someone else shoot it to see it problems persist. I'm just speculating here but it could be a grip issue.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    I love my 2 P380s. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I'm wondering what Kahr did to repair it when you sent it in? They should have sent you a report. I didn't see how much shooting experience you have but if you're new to small handguns, maybe have someone else shoot it to see it problems persist. I'm just speculating here but it could be a grip issue.
    +1 on possible grip issue, especially if he has larger hands?

I'd suggest adding a rubber grip sleeve and testing again with a real firm grip on that little 380.

I looked at the CW380 for a longtime, but decided it was too small for me - even though my mitts are undersized.
    So I bought a CT380 which was a perfect fit and a softer shooter with the long grip.
    Later on I gave it to my son after the arthritis made it too much of a chore to rack the slide.
    It is still one of the best options for a really thin concealed carry….
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

For me it's hard to beat the cheap KalTec 380 or the Ruger LCP [pretty much an upgraded Kaltec]. Mine has the clip draw on it for those times you want DESCREET.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

And here I thought I was the only one using a clip draw! +1 on the Keltec 380 (P3AT) Pocketed one of those for the last 2 years, then fell in love with the wife’s G42, so now that’s my b.ug. BUT, the P3AT was WAAAAY more concealable.

I just bought a new black p380 last week. First 50 various rounds fired everything so far. Only problem I had was the Hornady Critical Defense would get a failure to feed while loading first round but once it seats it will fire entire mag. It really seems to love the Remington HTP ammo. I had a cw380 and p380 older used models that were really finnicky so I sold it towards a Glock 42. What was I thinking? That thing is nice but almost double the size. Same as my edc shield 2.0. So I traded that towards this new p380. Haha. So far so good. I’ve read somewhere from a post that Kahr did a lot of fine tuning on newer models. I seem to have a good one. I’m happy I can go back to ultra deep concealment with this in Vedder Pocket Locker!