CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF Choices

Default SHTF Choices

Ok, since a lot of us here tend to not be fan boys of any particular maker I figure I can ask this without the conversation spiralling down the drain.

With all things being considered, such as weight (of gun and ammo), capacity, potential inability to keep a weapon as clean as we might now, and potential ammo matching to a long gun, and you had one extremely fast and stressful choice of each type to make what pistol and long gun would you take if you had to hit the road?

I ask because I enjoy the 1911 platform for looks and history. But then I also l enjoy other makes. With the few that I have I would be torn between taking an HK, a Sig, or a 1911. Of those the first two have a greater capacity. And I would expect would perform more reliably if dirty and/or dry (yep, I know that the venerable 1911 helped with two world wars in battle conditions). In a hectic grab and go I think I would probably narrow it down to one of the first two, and likely settle on an HK. I'd likely couple that with a 9mm carbine.

How about you?

For me....it's 3 guns if I am able to take 3 guns. My Sig P226 which shoots 3 calibers,9mm, 40 and 357Sig, next it is my Ruger Mini 30 in 762x39 and then my Mossberg 940 Pro 12 gauge.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Well, these are not my favorites by any means, but they fit the circumstances, and I shoot both well.
    My Beretta M9, and CX4 Storm. Both use the same magazines, and I have a lot of mags.
    NRA Benefactor

I like the 1911, but it's heavy and limited in capacity. I'm approaching 78 and ain't planning or able to bugout 'cause I don't have a remote cabin in the woods... or a bunker somewhere... or a vehicle that might run after an EMP or solar flare.

I would opt for my Glock 21 and have many mags and boolits for it. My Kahr P45 could be a backup. You definitely would want a popular caliber... 9mm or .45 for ammo availability, and .556mm, 7.62x39mm, or 7.62x51mm rifles for the same reason.

Everyone talks about bugging out to the woods and living off the land. Well good luck with that... you and 10's of millions of others will be vying for the soon scarce resources, and the worst will come out in most people... even the "good" ones when they and their family get hungry.

What is it... the HK 416, or something like that that's highly thought of as a dependable rifle. I keep seeing this in the novels. Glocks ar popular, too... 9mm's and .45's.

I have plenty of ammo for all of my guns and don't shoot anymore since COVID... just got out of the monthly practice. I still carry all of the time... even now at home, but it's my P380 and the night sights still work after 14 years! I got it 1 April 2010... and had to send it back to have the DOA front sight replaced. I was thinking that I needed new sights, but I can still see them across the room on my nightstand when I got to the bathroom at night. My G-21 and my wife's G-43 are close, too.

My usual carry of my Kahr P40 with ported barrel has become a carry-along in the car safe gun for trips as my shorts/pants got a bit tight and the P380 was smaller and more comfortable. That little pistol is always on my hip or by me at home... everywhere.

I hope that the S--- never hits the fan, but who knows with all of the illegal, invading "immigrants" which could include whole armies of Islamic and Chinese terrorists as well as just the MS-13 and other criminals, so keep your powder dry and stay prepared.

I have my PSA PA-10 with mags and ammo, and a nice PA-15 with much ammo, too, but don't plan on carrying anything.

My favorite genre for reading since I got Kindle Unlimited years ago is apocalyptic scenarios after EMP's, solar flares, or biological warfare attacks... or combinations of those... and earthquakes... fun reading.

Don't forget toilet paper and decent hiking shoes/boots... so much to think about... especially water purification and food preparation... keeping warm. Light decent body armor might be appreciated, too. My IIIA+ steel stuff weighs 23 pounds and isn't the easiest to put on, and I'm not hiking in that, either.

YMMV

USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I SHOULD own a rifle, but I don't.........that being said, I would take my HK in .40 cal., and for a rifle, I would take either a bolt action Ruger .22 takedown. or a Springfield M1A Tanker or Scout in .308.

I took this scenario rather seriously and went to my room to bug out, actually had to go to the bedroom on the way. I grabbed my Tisas commander carry in (don't tell nobody) 9 and my Ruger PC9 carbine and two ammo cans stuff full of 9 ammo although I wish more of it was carry ammo and not ball but it'll do.
    Since my MRI Officer 45 is already on my hip do I get to bring that too? If so I need to grab another ammo can. All my mags are organized in one drawer so grabbing a bunch wouldn't take no time at all.

I'm kind of with Wynn on that I most likely wouldn't actually bug out but hold the fort. We're pretty country although lots of close neighbors. Not far to unpopulated woody area's but like he mentioned, lots of folks will be heading there, at least the ones that have a clue how to live that way. Hopefully the day never comes, living off the grid in a wheelchair ain't no picnic.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

A 4x4, maybe tracked, ATV with a little trailer...? This guy is kind of prepared...Are you prepared ZOMG-660x411.jpg
    And this guy ain't getting far with this load, though impressive, but not in a good way. Sorry, but had to inject some humor:
    big warrior.jpg
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Mini 14 and T9
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Humor is good Wyn, thanks

Since I'm making the rules Colonel, if you already have one on your hip I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to grab two more.

I think the rifle part is the toughest. It would be hard to pass up my shotgun for my carbine. But then unless you're real, real good at hunting it's unlikely you're gonna get close enough to bring down much with a 12ga. Then again a 12ga is more likely to stop a bad guy, at least one that's close by. But I'm with the Colonel on this one, I'd take my PC9. And the idea of having the same caliber for the pistol and carbine simplifies things. Also doesn't hurt to have a common caliber, regardless of what you take. My .45Colt would stay behind.

All good answers though. But as has been said, we're getting kind of old to be living off the land. It is said you should be 5 miles as the crow flies from a freeway. I'm close to that, and fairly remote but I'm sure I'd end up having to defend my property and supplies from scavengers before all was said and done. Bottom line is that it's a scary thought. Sometimes I feel bad for bringing my kids into this crazy old world.

The thought of my 45 Colt Lever gun and a couple six guns entered my mind after the fact. The revolvers of course are stone cold reliable and the lever gun isn't far behind. But 45 Colt might be next to impossible to scavenge if the need arises. I'm well over 5 miles from a freeway although the nearest highway is about 8 miles away but it's the only route east west for quite a distance. All it would take is one panicked idiot to crash or ball up the road and things would come to a stand still. My daughter is about 11 or 12 miles east on that highway. Might be difficult for them to get here preferable, or me to get to them if I have to.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."