Kahr Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checkering my Colt MKIV

Default Checkering my Colt MKIV

I figured that by the time my MKIV is worth a premium as an all-original gun I likely would be long gone, and my son would have it. Since he wouldn't have paid anything for it, he wouldn't lose the premium by selling it for whatever it was worth at the time. So I went ahead and checkered it today. It turn out better than the other two so far as the points of the checkers go. I would have liked to have it two or three lines higher up the front strap, but getting the zip ties to stay in place takes some doing, and they don't always end up where they would be optimal, and stay put there. Still, the border on this one turned out better than on the other two also, so all in all I'm pretty happy with it. The top of it is a few lines short of reaching the center of my middle finger, though that finger still wraps around some of the lines.

25lpi on this one too. The 30lpi is better on a full size frame where the checkering can be long enough to get a better grip.

I also took the opportunity to remove the matte finish from the sides of the magwell by polishing it, and then making it into a satin finish with the trusty scotchbrite.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Once you establish your lines do you really need the zip ties? Can't the checkering file just ride in the last couple lines to cut another two or three lines? That turned out beautiful. Wish I knew how to do that myself.
    That's exactly what my first 1911 looked like, without the checkering of course. One of those ones I wish real hard I still had.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The zip ties keep the file from running up onto the frame when doing the vertical lines, so yes they need to stay in place. Also they're needed to start the horizontals. The file does more or less ride in the previous lines but it takes quite a bit of concentration. Feel for the bite, then ride it to guide the file is about how I would describe the process. I'm sure it's not a whole lot different than checkering wood Colonel, though it probably feels a bit different at least on steel frames because it's so much harder than wood.
    I took it back apart tonight and added 3 or 4 lines, and a double line border at the top. I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

Went back at it today because I didn't feel like it came up high enough. Better now, but I wish the top was as clean as it was the first time around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, you really messed it up, best just send it to me and I'll just wear a sack over my head and not tell anybody who messed it up. I do this as a friend, think nothing of it.

You are your own worst critic. I always find fault in most things I do as well. Guess it's a curse.

Be sure to send me a tracking number, wouldn't want to lose that beauty in the mail ya know.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'll get right on that Colonel. Maybe send it up with the hematite that should be here on Saturday.

You asked about just being able to set the file in the last run and use it as a guide for the new lines. Yes that is how it works, but when the side of the file that is cutting new lines runs over the previously cut lines that are perpendicular to the ones it is now cutting, the file jumps and skips over them, making it harder to keep the other side of the file seated where it belongs. That's where the concentration comes in, and also the need to "feel" the bite in order to keep the file on track. I'm sure that machinery makes light work of all of this, but for human hands no small amount of "touch" it required. Not hard to do, just a bit nerve wracking.

That looks awesome dao. I agree with guy with the bag on his head, that’s the best one yet. That sounds extremely nerve racking with the file wanting to jump hitting the opposing lines. That would have me sweating for sure. But, kudos for getting in there and doing it anyway. Sometimes we have to throw caution to the wind, and doing it on such a nice gun has me saying you have some real cajones! Did you have a bourbon before? If not, was it a requirement after?
    Oh, and good thinking about the value, your son, and going ahead with what you wanted from it. You are here now, so enjoy it. As I tell my wife often, let’s enjoy it/do it while we can. Someday we won’t be able to!

Maybe send it up with the hematite that should be here on Saturday.

Good idea!
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

No bourbon Bird, just got the jitters out by doing the Rock Island and Tisas before doing this one.

Now I don't have any other stainless guns to do this on. Thinking about a Springfield Garrison Commander. They are blued and have steel frames, so I'm thinking that I should be able to checker one, and then re-blue it. I don't have a 9mm steel framed Commander yet. Though I should take my Tisas Bantam to the range again first, and compare it to this RIA in terms of recoil. The Bantam is 9mm, with an alloy frame. I might not need a steel framed 9mm Commander.

Tell you what Colonel, when I'm ready to part with one of these that I've checkered, you'll have first dibs.

Funny, my next one needs to be blued/carbon steel one too, in order to do some finish techniques I want to try. One compact (it will wear Bawanna grips too) and one full size. Then I'll be done with buying 'em forever! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    That Van's bluing might end up being my friend. The people posting up in that other forum are seeming to like their Garrison's. Even if the alloy frame is good to go, never hurts to have another 1911! 😂