Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Black Oxide

Default Simple Black Oxide

Found this vid on youtube. Looks like a simple enough process, without boiling, etc. May try it on some parts.
    https://youtu.be/e7R8N3b4OtE?si=EjWufEPMl-DIHTzz

Interesting. I wonder how much it adds to the surface thickness? Would using it on an entire frame for example make the hammer or trigger slots too small? Or the pin holes to too small for the pins?

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Interesting. I wonder how much it adds to the surface thickness? Would using it on an entire frame for example make the hammer or trigger slots too small? Or the pin holes to too small for the pins?
    Hmmm, that's something to consider. Maybe someone who has used this stuff will step in and answer for us.

I use Caswell black oxide concentrate. It's a cold blue that uses chemicals similar to Birchwood Casey's Super Blue and other cold blues (Material Safety Data Sheets are readily available for comparisons). IMO, it adds no more to the surface than the other cold blues do. Caswell's is a decent product, but I've found it to be no more durable than the others.

Rust bluing (that needs boiling) it much more durable. In that regards, I have had excellent results using Mark Lee Express Blue #1.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I use Caswell black oxide concentrate. It's a cold blue that uses chemicals similar to Birchwood Casey's Super Blue and other cold blues (Material Safety Data Sheets are readily available for comparisons). IMO, it adds no more to the surface than the other cold blues do. Caswell's is a decent product, but I've found it to be no more durable than the others.

Rust bluing (that needs boiling) it much more durable. In that regards, I have had excellent results using Mark Lee Express Blue #1.

Regards,
    Greg
    Before that video, I watched a rust bluing video. The finish came out really nice from the looks of it. I've also heard that method does give a more durable finish. Does it come out really black like that oxide? Would be good to hsve options that range from blue to black.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Before that video, I watched a rust bluing video. The finish came out really nice from the looks of it. I've also heard that method does give a more durable finish. Does it come out really black like that oxide? Would be good to hsve options that range from blue to black.
    The finish is very similar in appearance to hot salt bluing done on a satin finish surface (rust blue is carded with a steel brush or fine steel wool at the end of each cycle). It can be very dark but, it depends upon how many times you repeat the process.
    I'll pull out a hand-rifle that I did the receiver with the Mark Lee product and post some photo of it later.

I've found cold blues will look more "black" when applied to matte surfaces, but have a blueish sheen when applied to polished surfaces. The Caldwell product is no exception to this in my use.

Regards,
    Greg

FWIW: the barrel has the factory finish on it.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Great job on that receiver. Smooth and uniform. Thanks for the pic and explanation. I intend to use various shades, between blue & black on my next one, so knowing that will be useful. 😊

I got a bottle of that Mark Lee Express Blue years ago after you recommended it. I've yet to try it out. I even set the bottle in a more obvious location so I'd get to it. Guess now I'm waiting for a victim.
    Hope I get half the great result you did on that Handi rifle.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That looks great Greg! Being able to add or repair a finish opens up quite a few mods that we can do that would require a refinishing.

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    That looks great Greg! Being able to add or repair a finish opens up quite a few mods that we can do that would require a refinishing.
    I see a checkered front strap on a blued 1911 in your future sir!
    IMG_7835.jpeg