Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Striker Assembly: Crud vs. Rust

One thing that is deceptive I found was the hole at the rear of the extractor chain to remove the back plate is smaller than it appears. I pushed and pushed with no results as my tiny little screwdriver wasn't tiny enough. The hole is kind of half round and it's still very easy, just have to make sure you have the small enough jewelers screwdriver or other means of depressing the extractor chain in.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I suppose after pushing real hard you came to the conclusion that, "The ejector is not under this much pressure". Yes, it is a half moon and requires a very small screwdriver. Dan

Good points guys. I use a micro pick to depress mine but still have to make sure it's against the spring's cap in order to clear the slide's ledge there.

I know there are places in the striker channel and extractor spring hole that are not cleaned without stripping the slide. The extractor is a good example as it is impossible to perfectly clean the extractor while in the pistol. The striker spring channel/ hole is another example. The striker block and small spring is another. I am tempted to do a video of me stripping and cleaning the slide and all the parts. I think I can make it seem easy enough to dispel the fears that some here have. For people with factory strikers, it also gives you the chance to look for cracks. I broke two factory strikers in my P380 before I bought a Lakeline. I bet there was a visible crack I could have seen before it fully broke. I will check youtube and if a good video already exists I won't waste my time. Dan

That's a fine idea Whaleman. I don't have a clue how to make a video or I'd give it a whirl. Never know it might turn out good and I'd get to go virus with 15 or 20 followers. I better leave it up to those smarter than me I guess.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Here’s one. There’s a few on there:
    https://youtu.be/mi3VFRll2L4?si=H-qCeGYw1Hp2OxBw

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsThaWord View Post
    Here’s one. There’s a few on there:
    https://youtu.be/mi3VFRll2L4?si=H-qCeGYw1Hp2OxBw
    I don't think I can do better. I don't like how he pulled the striker forward. It looked like he was pulling on the spring. I use a sharp small screwdriver to get behind my stainless striker guide. I don't want to put any bends in the spring. I also have a way I clean the extractor channel. I spray brake clean and then use a bent up thin wire pulled back and forth and spun around to kind of scrub the sides of the channel. I also use a bent clothes hanger (Ripley Retractor) to keep the striker spring forward. I also do the final takedown in a big ziplock bag so the ejector pin and spring can't fly across the room. But it is still pretty good. Thanks for posting. Dan

Certainly! Your method sounds solid Dan. I’ve been using the pipe cleaners to scrub in there, and through the striker hole. Can run it straight, or turn it into a coil by wrapping it around something such as a chopstick, to scrub the sides of the tunnel. But again, sounds like you have it well taken care of.

I don't think I could clean these parts as well without brass brushes. Dan