Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sore hands from shooting.

I get sore hands from just about everything. Gets to wear they cramp up even holding a screwdriver or a checkering tool. They say pain is a good thing, it lets you know your still alive. Not sure I totally buy that sometimes.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I've been living the dream then....................i had to replace some step and deck boards and shore up steps that have been in place for 19 years. Of course, whoever built them had to round out half the screw heads and use 2 different types of screws. I really hate when things are not done properly. Surprised they didn't use nails. Had to crowbar most of them off. Some I had to Sawzall off. Whatever hardwood they used for the frame made it even worse. I'll be 69 soon and I am paying the price for the work. I hurt every possible place except for my earlobes. The wife asked mt where I was bleeding from. Hands, elbow, I told her to pick a place. This one will take some recovery time and shots of Limoncello.................................Have to recover before garden time and yardwork.....................

We're in the process of replacing the lower 3 feet of the siding on the house. Rotted, typical mobile home cardboard. Have a hired guy but I know him and his daughter who works with him so I'm working with them. Worked all day saturday in the pouring down rain. Wet, freezing. Friday we worked to 9:30 under the lights. He likes to works swing hours I guess, from like 11 or 12 to 7 or 8 at night. I don't recall ever being so tired and beat up as I was Saturday night. They were supposed to come yesterday to but talked them out of it. I was used up. Today thankfully they called it off on account of it raining. Supposed to try and come back Wednesday for a bit more. Maybe I'll recover by then.
    I sure don't miss working out in the rain, especially when it's cold too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I hear ya Colonel. Seems that the older I got the less it appealed to me. Now, unless I'm forced to it doesn't happen.

Spent several days on vacation trying out various 357/44 Mangum rounds in my revolvers.
    Definitely had a sore hand afterwards
    I've switched to 38/44 Specials these days

So as I posted in another thread. I shot 100 rounds at a local range, 50 rounds of 180 grn .40 hollow points (not +p), and 50 rounds of 158 grn .357 Magnums.
    The next day, the web of my strong side hand is a little sore. Is it from age, lack of practice, or who knows?

Before I retired, I used to shoot 150-200 rounds per week. Now I shoot 100 rounds per month. (All I can afford).

Is my soreness age related, or just that I don't practice as much.
    It only seems to affect the webbing between my thumb and pointy finger. Never noticed it when I shot a lot. And, I don't notice until the day after, leaning towards lack of practice.
    Hey there, I feel you on the sore hands after shooting! It's definitely a sign you got a good workout in at the range, especially jumping between those two calibers.

Back in the day, when I was shooting regularly, I could put a few hundred rounds downrange without a peep. But now that I only get to the range once a month or so, my hands definitely feel it the next day, especially in that same web area you mentioned, between the thumb and pointer finger.

I'm leaning towards it being more about the lack of practice than your age. Our bodies just get used to a certain routine, and when we throw them a curveball like a big range day after a long break, they're bound to protest a little. Moreover, I remember that training my hand grip helped me personally, for example, I did exercises with a hand expander, as well as doing push-ups and lifting dumbbells, which definitely strengthened my grip.

Maybe next time you head out, you can try easing back into it a bit. Start with a lower round count, maybe just the .40s this time, and see how your hands feel. You could also look into some different grip styles or gloves specifically designed for shooting. Those can help absorb some of the shock and prevent those sore spots.

Every time I get the urge to exercise I go lay down till it passes…….