Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr working on accessory rail gun?

Default Kahr working on accessory rail gun?

Ok, I admit it may not be the desire of all the other Kahr owners out there, with so many other manufacturer's with guns on the market that have forward rails under the barrel, I am sure Kahr has a reason for not offering anything. However, I'll ask anyway. Is Kahr planning on offering and of their guns in the near future with a forward rail for accessories?

Default that would be

Quote Originally Posted by jbcon View Post
    Ok, I admit it may not be the desire of all the other Kahr owners out there, with so many other manufacturer's with guns on the market that have forward rails under the barrel, I am sure Kahr has a reason for not offering anything. However, I'll ask anyway. Is Kahr planning on offering and of their guns in the near future with a forward rail for accessories?
    a question for kahr people to answer. We would allbe just guessing..

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    a question for kahr people to answer. We would allbe just guessing..
    I, for one, think a low-profile accessory rail would be a very good thing. Reliable lights, lasers, and light/laser combination devices are getting smaller and smaller, and IMHO are very useful in lots of circumstances.

I use my Kahr (P380) for a pocket pistol. Putting accessories on a rail may make the total package too large for my pocket. I like the idea of "concealment". I figure if I am going to really need the gun in a self defense situation, it will more then likely be an across the counter shot and I will not be needing an accessory.

That being said, what kind of circumstances do you think the accessory rail (with accessories) would come in handy?

Default I would

have thought had they contempalted an accessory rail they might have had it on the new PM9 model they just introduced. The fact that they didn't tells me it ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    I use my Kahr (P380) for a pocket pistol. Putting accessories on a rail may make the total package too large for my pocket. I like the idea of "concealment". I figure if I am going to really need the gun in a self defense situation, it will more then likely be an across the counter shot and I will not be needing an accessory.

That being said, what kind of circumstances do you think the accessory rail (with accessories) would come in handy?
    For an "across the counter shot" that you mention a light won't be of much use. For that matter, the sights won't be of much use either. What will matter is a smooth draw, and the ability to point the gun and pull the trigger until the threat is neutralized.

And I believe that a light might do more harm than good on a pocket gun, especially given the size of currently available lights. A light on a rail could foul your draw.

A laser could be handy assuming it doesn't foul the draw. I have a set of Crimson Trace lasergrips on one of my pocket-carry S&W 642s. In a stressful situation, the laser lets me focus your attention where my brain is screaming at you to focus my attention, which is on the threat, not on my sights. Based on my somewhat limited experience in Force-on-Force training with Simunitions, I don't expect to use my sights in a serious social encounter. I don't expect to actually see my sights in a serious social encounter.

But for someone who carries Kahr as an IWB/OWB gun, or uses it as a home defense or vehicle gun, an accessory rail would allow the user to mount a light and/or laser. If you think this is simply unrealistic, my primary carry gun is a Glock 34 with an attached Surefire X400 laser/light device, carried IWB in a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom. In a low light situation where I have to use the gun I don't want to be holding a handheld-light while I'm trying to engage a fleeting target that's firing at me. I'll be lighting the threat up with the weapon-mounted light. The handheld light has its place as a search tool before and maybe after the shooting but while I'm shooting, that handheld light will be hanging from my wrist via its lanyard.

You can find a great primer on low light fighting and how handheld lights, weapon-mounted lights, lasers, and night sights fit in as useful tools at the m4carbine.net site in the Light and Laser forum. Also Surefire has some good info on their website about using illumination tools in a fight.

Why stop at a bottom rail? I'd love to have a nice red dot scope on top of my P380 with a Surefire light and laser combo, a forward grip/bipod underneath... and possibly a bayonet lug, (just in case).

While I agree that a rail on something as small as the P380 or a PM9 is ridiculous, I might look to Kahr for my next larger piece rather than Springfield, Glock or S&W if they had one available for say the TP40, or CW45.

I was just curious as to why Kahr didn’t offer a rail on their larger duty-sized guns.

are there not accessory rails that one can buy and install on most all semi's??? I thought I seen and read something awile back ...

Quote Originally Posted by jbcon View Post
    While I agree that a rail on something as small as the P380 or a PM9 is ridiculous, I might look to Kahr for my next larger piece rather than Springfield, Glock or S&W if they had one available for say the TP40, or CW45.

I was just curious as to why Kahr didn’t offer a rail on their larger duty-sized guns.
    The way I look at it this; The Kahrs are all really dedicated carry guns meant primarily for the civilian concealed carry user. This market is focused more on thin, lightweight and non-bulky.

Lasers are the exception as some really smart people have designed tiny lasers for many guns, even some that are built into the guide rod. I'd really like to see one of these made for Kahrs.

Duty weapons are almost always carried in the open and are more suitable in size and purpose for the extra stuff hanging off a rail that a soldier or LEO may find need for. A duty weapon will generally also have a larger magazine capacity than any Kahr available.