Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Using Russian Ammo

Centaur Guest

Default Using Russian Ammo

I've read that using Russian ammo in U.S. made guns is a bad idea. That Russian ammo is best for Russian guns. I guess because of the steel cases used and the use of lacquer and such coatings. However, I'd be willing to try some if others think it is okay. I see that CTD has some Russian stuff called TulAmmo in .30 M-1 Carbine for a fairly cheap price. Has anyone tried any Russian ammo in an AO Carbine?

I can't speak for anyone else but I personally have shot over 10,000 rounds of the Russian Brown Bear 9mm 115Gr ammo in the last 2 years in my PM9 and S&W 39-2 with no issues at all other that the case lacquer leaves a yellow stain on my fingers. But it washes off easily when done shooting. The Ammo is some what dirtier than some other ammo but not enough to have ever caused a issue while shooting and I always clean my guns after each range session. I can't comment on any other caliber or Russian brand as I have not used any other.
    Tony,

Check My Photography Website
    PhotographicEndeavors.com

Army National Guard Veteran 1972-78
    NRA Life Member
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr K40
    Kahr CW380
    "Defend freedom because it is not free"

I've used Russian stuff for years, it works, it is sooty, and it can leave stuff in the recesses, but that is why we clean after we shoot right. It works, just remember to clean well afterwards and you'll be fine.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

if it cheap to shoot and I don't mean by 25 or 50 cents on the box, but cheap and it works why not shoot it. For mejust kinda hard to beat the ol wal-mart winchester 100 pak 115 grain for me with my 10% discount just a tad over 18 bucks...

Ive used the russian 9mm in my byf p38 and byf luger, and berretta 92fs, and 30 carbine in my 6 digit inland carbine. All works ok, just clean guns after shooting. My concern is for the extractors, but after about 1000 in my carbine and a few hundred in each pistol ive seen no abnormal (or even noticable) wear yet.

Walmart is carrying the tulammo in 9mm now.
    If it's a penny for your thoughts and you offer me your two cents, what happens to the other penny? Taxes, the democrats tax everything!!

Default what is

Quote Originally Posted by rholmes69 View Post
    Walmart is carrying the tulammo in 9mm now.
    the pirce??

If I'm not mistaken, the Russian ammo sold at Walmart has a steel case.Just be advised that most indoor ranges won't let you shoot it.
    I can't go to work today,the voices said "stay home and clean the guns"

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Russian ammo sold at Walmart has a steel case.Just be advised that most indoor ranges won't let you shoot it.
    Thats the way it is around our parts. Funny they use to sell the stuff and now you can't shoot it. I never did shoot it anyhow, dont seem natural to me. In a surplus rifle outside someplace, I'd probably try it.
    Local sporting goods store has surplus Moisin Nagant rifles on sale for 89 bucks. I already have one but got the urge to go look anyhow, see if they have one better than my semi rough one that I've never shot anyhow. If I can ever get off the hill that is.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

No problems here with the Russian ammo accept in a Mini-30 I used to have. All that rifle would run was expensive American 7.62x39. As for my AO M1.....it happily eats Wolf and Herters .30carbine without issue
    -The Destroyer Approaches
    eyes to the south