Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Defense Round Test Results

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 9mm Defense Round Test Results

Here are the test results of different manufactures self-defense round. I will let you be the judge and decide what you carry in your gun as a self defense round, as for me I carry Federal HST124 grain JHP.

Kahr CW9 (SS guide rod & CTC laser)
    FN Herstal Hi-Power DAc 9mm
    Bersa 380

Stag Arms AR-15
    Mossberg 590

Everyone of those looks like it would really hurt. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any of them.

I use Federal HST147 grain +P JHP for my 9mm and Federal HST 230 grain JHP for my 45. I really confident they will consistently stop a couple jugs filled with water. I am less confident yet trusting my life that they will stop a BG.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Forgive the stupid question but what does the HST stand for? I've been using Speer gold dot 124 JHP for self defense and their lawman 124 FMJ for range pratcice. Since it's the same bullet for training as defense it always made sense to me to go that route.

I carry either Speer Gold Dot 124 GR +P JHP, or Remington Golden Saber 124 GR +P JHP when carrying my K9.

They both work great for my needs.

I really like everything that I have read and seen about the Winchester Ranger SXT 127 GR +P+ JHP, but am just not interested in explaining to a jury as to why I was using +P+ ammo in a gun that is only rated for +P ammo if I had to defend myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dusty10 View Post
    Forgive the stupid question but what does the HST stand for? I've been using Speer gold dot 124 JHP for self defense and their lawman 124 FMJ for range pratcice. Since it's the same bullet for training as defense it always made sense to me to go that route.
    Hydra Shok Technology
    Kahr CW9 (SS guide rod & CTC laser)
    FN Herstal Hi-Power DAc 9mm
    Bersa 380

Stag Arms AR-15
    Mossberg 590

This is exactly what I do with 45. Gold Dot 230 JHP and Lawman 230 FMJ when I can afford it. I've been shooting mostly reloads for awhile. Still use the Gold Dot for carry.

I went to a Winchester workshop where they shot a similar test of all these bullets, into gelatin, thru denim, thru windshield glass, all kinds of stuff. I can tell you that the SXT bullet petal is razor sharp, it cuts like the dickens. I did'nt drink enough of their kool aid to switch from gold dot but our instructors did and the dept uses the winchester. I have tested it and it runs in my guns just fine. I wouldn't feel bad about carrying it, just staying with my old ways.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I've been using Speer gold dot 124 JHP for self defense and their lawman 124 FMJ for range pratcice. Since it's the same bullet for training as defense it always made sense to me to go that route.
    Count me in on this thinking also.

That 2nd #11 is pretty like a work of art...a brass sun and the 1st #7 looks like a flower.
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Looks like there is a copious amount of really good self defense ammo out there and that`s a good thing.In my 9`s I carry either Remington Golden Saber or Speer Gold Dot both in 124 grain +P.In my .45 I carry Remington 230 grain Bonded Golden Saber.Is there a website that has information on bullet performance in actual shootings?
    In the area in which I now reside,when I`m placed in a group of four or five guys,I`m known as "the smart one".God help me.

I notice in this test NO CORBON DPX test. It willdo exactly as the HST round will do. They all oook pretty damn good to me. course none are worth a fook if they don't fire everytime out of your gun. that has to be number 1.