CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 9mm Defense Round Test Results

Quote Originally Posted by thetmanski View Post
    In testing reloads with a friends Beretta 92, we found that the 147 gr loads did not group near as well as the lighter grain bullets. That's the only complaint I have about them.
    That is likely just the result of a load tuning issue or a characteristic of the Baretta barrel (which I am not familiar with). 147gr 9mm loads can be highly accurate in part because the longer bullet is better stabilized by more contact area with the barrel. I had a G19 that would shoot sub 1 inch at 25 yards with Hornady xtp 147gr and AA #2 when the OAL was correct. OAL is critical for achieving correct pressures and good accuracy because the bullet must match up with the chamber's free-bore (space ahead of chamber where barrel has no riflings.). The Glock has a free-bore that is perfect for 147gr ammo. On the other hand I cannot shoot 147gr ammo in my beloved CZ P0-1 because it's free-bore is too short. Don't blame the bullet weight alone. It's just one variable in a system.

The 'experts' that are claiming bunk on 147gr ammo are either A) living in the past or B) you are reading an old copy of an article from 10+ years back. Tests are all over the place on modern 147gr (standard load, not even +P) that put the penetration and expansion results the same as any other load. The old purpose of 147 was to give some weight to the bullet to penetrate barriers, particularly safety glass on cars, etc. +P also solves that problem in the lighter weight bullets.

Don't get all caught up in +P vs standard load debate. Check the tests, do your own tests and homework, settle on the one you feel you are most accurate with, recoil tolerance, etc. They will all do the job if called upon. A 9mm round in any weight (of the same design) isn't going to bounce off anything more or less than one of it's siblings. Meaning for example, 124gr +P Winchester PDX1 vs it's 147gr standard load sibling. If the round you are using is good at preventing clogging and/or expanding consistently w/ clothing material, penetrates in the 13-15" range, you should be good to go.

This of course is ALL dependent on the particular barrel length you are working with. Keep that in mind. If you find a test w/ with any caliber on a 4-4.5" barrel but you are carrying a 3" barrel, best to run some tests yourself or look for another test already done.

+P+ is marketing hype, will/can damage many firearms over time, serves no purpose IMO.

What gun was used for all the test rounds?

Aside from all rounds expanding well, what was the penetration?

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY View Post
    What gun was used for all the test rounds?

Aside from all rounds expanding well, what was the penetration?
    I would also like to know if this was fired from a CW9 or if not what the barrel length was.

I don't know about you guys, but I've never been in a SHTF situation with a water jug. I want to see some tests done on flesh and bone. And BTW, the only one I know who wears four layers of denim is Jocko and I'm not gonna mess with him.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

My CW9 doesn't seem to like the Federal HST in 147gr (P9HST2). It does not feed reliably. It seems that whenever I shoot it there's a stovepipe. I usually don't shoot much of it due to expense but don't seem to have the same problem with GD 124gr +P.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same with the CW9, or other Kahr with this particular defense round?

I've ran some 147 Gr HSTs through my CW9 without issue. Not any considerable amount, but the ones I did run through it were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by thetmanski View Post
    In testing reloads with a friends Beretta 92, we found that the 147 gr loads did not group near as well as the lighter grain bullets.
    I've tested and in winter I use 147 gr Loads in both my Beretta 92 and CM9 (Winchester Ranger and Federal HST). And they work flawlessly in both.

I think the "reload" part of the test could account for the inaccuracy.

( In summer use Gold Dot 124s: sp in CM9 and +P in Beretta )