Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Failure to feed. extractor tension.

Jim, what kind of failure to feed exactly? Thanks, and I don't know the answer to your question.

Paul0660,

My P9 did not push the cartridge fully into battery. The slide would stop about 1/4 inch short of full foward.

I works perfectly now. I'm not trading my P9 for anything (now).

Best Regards, Jim K

so Jim, why did you consider extractor pressure as a solution to the FTF? Was there some obvious interference? Or do you think the extractor was causing the round to become cocked and jam? I have looked at my K9 closely, and a lot of stuff does happen in that last 1/4 inch. Thanks

Paul 0660,

The FTF problem I was having had no visible cause. The extractor was not becoming cocked.

I tried different ammo, different magazines, polished the feed lips and feed ramp, I even changed the barrel.

Extractor tension was the last thing I checked. Lowering the pressure caused my P9 to function perfectly. I was about to give up on it.

My P9 works perfectly. I don't know what the Kahr engineers had in mind for extractor pressure but it works now and I'll have to check other Kahr extractors (on working pistols) to know what's correct.

I have fired over 1,000 rounds through my P9 since lowering the extractor tension and it worked without ANY problems.

Regards, Jim K

Paul 0660,

I forgot to mention that I changed the recoil spring to a 20 pound spring.
    That did not fix the problem.

I guess if you keep changing parts you eventually find the problem.

Regards, Jim K

Very interesting, Jim. They ARE very Swiss watch like, and a little bit off is enough to make them screw up. I like my K9 very much. My CW9 never really felt comfortable (two trips back to the factory, and an at home mag catch/spring replacement). I think firearm history will recall the original metal designs as groundbreaking and enviable, and the plastic models as expeditious marketing.....not that a vast majority of them work fine.

Paul 0660,

I wonder if the same people do Q.C. and assemble parts into firearms at Kahr. I don't see anything wrong with the design of my pistol except I'm not a fan of the patented extractor. I like the tried & true 1911 style extractor better, but that's just me.

I gotta say again that I love my Kahr now that it works. The folks at Kahr's service department are very nice but were of limited help in MY case.

Lastly, that 200 round break in thing, what marketing genius came up with that? I'm calling BS!
    It ain't a car and it ain't a swiss watch. Fit of two parts is not accomplished by rubbing them together. I can hear my machine shop boss, Dutch, laughing his you know what off. Don't rely on the customer to do your QC for you. It's a sure way to get a bad name.

Regards, Jim K

As an engineer, I see zero reason why the extractor tension spec should be some kind of trade secret. Just the opposite.

They should publish the tension spec, dimensions, the approved method of measuring, and the approved method of adjusting (if adjustment is approved versus just parts replacement).

There is no excuse.

In fact, they should publish everything any gunsmith needs to work on the gun properly and independently. I bet "Cylinder and Slide" knows the specs.

This modification by C&S is even on the Kahr Website, included in "Custom Package #1"

"Radius and tension the extractor for improved feeding, extraction and ejection reliability".

ONE SHOULD SEE IF C & S would devulge what info they have on the extractor tension and what gauges they use to test out with also, just clipping coils is not the answer...

I can understand why kahr doesn't give out that info also. they realy don't want people jacking with their guns, a very few can actually jack a gun and make it right. My two cents anyhow. I doubt if any other gun companies will release all this info either. an engineer might understand the workings of certain things, but the general layman will only screw things up ....

Jocko,
    I don't think clipping coils is a good idea. The mechanism in question consists of a cast metal extractor, 2 pins and a spring. This is not rocket science lost to all but a small priesthood who work at Kahr.

I maintain 30 million dollar helicopters, fly small airplanes and I am a licensed avionics tech. What's the big deal about extractor pressure? Do you suggest I send my helicopter to Sikorsky every time it has an issue? C'mon, get real. The helicopter manufacturer supplies us with everything we need to maintain the machine. What in blue blazes is wrong with Kahr that they will not supply critical engineering data to maintain a MUCH simpler mechanism?

1st: My P9 did not function.
    2nd: I shortened the rear extractor spring PIN (cost a little more than 1 dollar).
    3rd: It works now.
    4th: I want to cross check my results with what the Kahr engineers designed.
    5th: Your assumptions about the incompetance of the common man is arrogant and insulting. I think you lived a sheltered life.

Kindest Regards, Jim K