Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Reloading Equipment

Default Reloading Equipment

I have been doing a little research on reloading equipment and am leaning toward this set up.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit - MidwayUSA

Hornady M-2 Case Tumbler 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

Hornady Lock-N-Load Case Prep Center 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Scale and Dispenser 110/220 Volt - MidwayUSA

Since I am just starting out, I am thinking a single stage will be the safest way to go and this press looks like it will be very easy to change out the dies as needed.

Any input will be appreciated.

I am wondering if this ultrasonic case cleaner would be better than the case tumbler.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Sonic Cleaner Ultrasonic Case Cleaner 110 Volt - MidwayUSA

Thanks,
    Steve

Excellent press and starter kit. The tumbler looks fine. I'd spend the money on the case prep machine on something else, you won't use it much.
    The powder scale and dispense is real cool if your loading like rifle or match type stuff. Would work fine for pistol in general but for like practice stuff your powder measure with the kit will be faster.
    You do need a scale though and that's a dang good one. I'd like one myself.

I know nothing about that ultrasonic setup but it reads like it's nice. Cleans inside the case and primer pocket. I don't know if they come out wet and need to dry them or what. That has good possibilitys. Maybe someone here has used one.

That whole list would make a bang up setup for ya. If you ever wanted to go faster the LNL Progressive would be an easy transition and the die holders would pop right in. Good plan.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

You didn't indicate what you are going to be loading. If it's match rifle ammo then the fancy scale-despenser is fine. If it is pistol ammo, the powder despenser that comes with the set will do very well. Get the $29.00 battery powered scale from Midway instead. I use mine to check the powder despensed by my Dillon measure and set it accordingly. You will also need a good caliper to check the various measurements needed when loading. Get lizzard bedding at the local pet store for media in the tumbler. It is a lot cheaper and works just as good. Put a cap full of that once a year car polish and a cut up dryer sheet in it when you tumble.

If you give us a little more info I'm sure you will get a lot of helpful info from the folks here. Check out the post by Old LIncoln on starting to reload. It is up to 11 or 12 pages by now.

Agree with Bawana and Jfrey, The calipers are needed, also some loading blocks. Suggest that, after charging cases with powder, U look them over under bright light in your blocks and assure yourself that they are all even!! Just in case!! Also, like to manually trim, chamfer, debur, etc. This is a great time to give CLOSE inspection. I like the old #55 Lyman , Old Orange, powder scale for small charges like pistol. Has a very fine Micrometer adjustment and holds very true.