Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Striker Spring

I am sure Wolff probably delivers the 5 lb spring along with a stern warning that it is for "competition" or "range" use only. That is the case for the lighter striker springs for a S&W Sigma. I would take that warning very seriously with a Kahr, given their tendency towards light strikes even with the factory spring. A lighter spring is not going to make them any more reliable.

or mayle less reliable. More like a legal liability statement + a warning also. I really have not read alot about kahr light strikes with the factory springs, other than a very dirty striker chamber causing most all light strikes. I would think kahr 7.5# + striker spring would be more than sufficient for good primer hits.. I'm still looking for my first light primer strike out of both of my kahr with the 5# wolffs spring in it. No doubt it can happen but it can happen with 7# springs which most striker fired guns have. Other variables might come into play also. Possably a hard primer, or a primer that was not fully seated. Faulty firing pin and yes bad striker spinrg..

Well you can read in detail the account of my gun going back to Kahr TWICE for light primer strikes and many, many other people with stock Kahr pistols with 7.5 lb striker springs and light strikes. It would be a mistake to assume that it is a dirty striker channel. I assure you mine was perfectly clean.

I think it's far more likely that the Kahr strikers either have inadequate firing pin protrusion, chamber headspace problems, out-of-spec strikers or breech milling resulting in drag or off-center running of the striker, etc. So either the striker does not protrude far enough to ignite the primers reliably (firing pin protrusion or chamber headspace), or drag on the striker causes the striker to slow down or fail to completely deploy and ignite the primer (dirty, out of spec striker channel, breech milling, striker). Or perhaps simply a defective striker spring is to blame for most of the light-strikes (who knows? Kahr, are you listening? This is a problem you need to solve).

But in whatever case, it is an absolute 100% guarantee that a lighter striker spring will not make your gun any more reliable. And if you are fortunate enough to have the planets in alignment and have a Kahr pistol that ignites all primers reliably 100% of the time then there is also a chance that a lighter spring will not reduce the reliability, but it will be subject to test.

Considering the high instance of FTF due to inadequate primer impacts with Kahr pistols in general, I would think that a lighter striker spring will be risky at best and require extensive testing in your own specific pistol before you can assume it is reliable.

Yes I bought the P45 used. The gun work fine with factory ammo and my reloads with Federal primers. It when I use Winchester primers is when I have the light strike .

I have found that Winchester primers seem to be harder to ignite, but this is an indicator of a problem with the gun, and not a problem with the primers. In my case, originally the gun would fire Federal ammo just fine and have occasional problems with Winchester, but eventually it got to where it would not fire any ammo either Federal or Winchester more than about 40% of the time. So light strikes with Winchester primers may be an indicator of a problem that may suddenly become more serious and just because it currently reliably fires Federal primers does not mean it will always continue to function correctly.

only thing CERTAN in life is death.

Other folk have had light strike issues with WWB also. Personally, after studying this a bit, I've seen inconsistent/random light primer indentations in fired brass in two lots of current production WWB. Happens both in my Kahrs..K9/MK9/PM9..and my S&W 940 revolver. The only failures to fire have been in two of the Kahrs, the K9 and the MK9. Only once or twice in the K9 early in its life. Maybe half a dozen times in my MK9 over 500+ rounds before it went back to Kahr for repair for an unrelated issue and none since. I've never had a problem or seen this with premium Federal, the only other brand I've really checked; intentionally because it's my carry brand....consistent, adequate indentation.

Kahr striker protrusion is unquestionably on the short side. Couldn't figure out why they did that at first but think I understand now. Couple that with hard primers in high volume production ammo and you can have a problem.

I agree, btw, that this is more of a Kahr gun related issue than an indictment of Winchester's ammo as no other firearms manufacturer's product seems to have any problem lighting off WWB.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    I agree, btw, that this is more of a Kahr gun related issue than an indictment of Winchester's ammo as no other firearms manufacturer's product seems to have any problem lighting off WWB.
    I think WWB is probably the most prevalent practice ammo in use by consumers.

But I expect Jocko to pop in and remind everyone once again that since he's had such good luck with his Kahrs, that means that there really is no design problem with them.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by mr.72 View Post
    I think WWB is probably the most prevalent practice ammo in use by consumers.

But I expect Jocko to pop in and remind everyone once again that since he's had such good luck with his Kahrs, that means that there really is no design problem with them.
    Not me Mr72. ur the man, u have all the answers. Not sure why u even own a kahr with all the issues and unrealibility they give. :59:

I like my Kahr, quite a bit. I'd buy another one without hesitation. But I do wish they would solve their problems... mag drops, light strikes, plague a lot of Kahr P and CW owners.

If Glock comes out with a single-stack compact 9mm in the same size class as a P9 with typical Glock reliability then Kahr is going to really wish they had taken these complaints more seriously.