Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new

Thread: CTL Dry Fire Practice - Wonderful

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default CTL Dry Fire Practice - Wonderful

I'm a CTL advocate for sure. Besides having it's obvious advantages for close range (30 ft and under) Point and (See WHERE You) Shoot situations; the dry fire benefits of this device are tremendous. I practice dry fire at least 5 minutes almost every day. With the CTL I can see exactly how smoothly I held the gun when I pullled the trigger. I know exactly where I would have hit the target when I hear the "click". It is very helpful to work on trigger staging. It also helps me pick the exact point on my trigger finger to use, so I don't pull left or right when the trigger is pulled. It takes some practice to sort it out. I deep conceal carry every day and most of the time it's in my pocket. At first, i wondered if the CTL would be moved off it's aim point. Now I am very confident that the CTL stays on because it stays lined up with my sights at 10-15 yrds. If you own a CTL, give it a try for your dry fire practice. If you don't own one and you dry fire practice, think how nice it would be to SEE exactly where the bullet would have hit every time you pull the trigger. It takes a little practice to get used to a CTL during live fire practice because you see the CTL's red dot when you are trying to focus on your front sights. At first, it is a little distracting...ok, alot distracing. But if you give it a little time, and keep focusing on the front sight, the CTL becomes secondary in your vision. Again, it takes diligence and practice. At longer distances (>10-15 yrds) in bright light the CTL is ineffective. In doors or in dim light, the CTL is always visible at any distance. ANYWAY, Dry Fire with the CTL...a wonderful thing.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Yep! I agree garyb. Have mentioned the positive points on a few posts.
    At the range try shooting with both eyes on the target and none on the sights, say at chest levvel,etc.

Dry firing with my CTL has become a standard part of my training regiment and has really improve my over all performance with my PM9.
    Tony,

Check My Photography Website
    PhotographicEndeavors.com

Army National Guard Veteran 1972-78
    NRA Life Member
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr K40
    Kahr CW380
    "Defend freedom because it is not free"

Well now you've gone and done it garyb. I've never been real big on the looks of the CT lasers on kahrs but you got my wheels turning. I use my wifes SP101 with the CT's for new shooters and myself occasionally. Sometimes I just torment the cat, tormenting seems to be a forte of mine.

Anyhow my son suggested he get me one for Christmas for my PM 45. I generally wish the kids not to spend that kind of money on a lost cause like me but as he pointed out I've fed him food and bullets, Lots of bullets over the years so I just might go for it or pay half myself, since my bullet order might be in jeperdy (anyone know how to spell that, Jocko?) Jeopardy???
    Anyhow I'm gonna blame the whole deal on you good or bad. I've not seen anything bad from Crimson Trace so I think the odds are good. If nothing else the cats in for some serious tormenting.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Bawanna,
    You are gonna love it once you get it dialed in. Right out of the box, the laser was on and matched my sights at 10-15 yards. You will notice that at a few feet the laser is lower than the front sights...stands to reason with the divergence of the laser below the barrel. At longer distanced (50 yards) the laser dot may appear slightly high. It is a minimal variance. Set it at a distance you feel most comfortable.

You will immediately appreciate the dry fire practice benefits. You will also notice how much it is necessary to work on your form, trigger control, breathing, front sight alignment, etc.... You will think to yourself, "my front sights look like they are on, but the laser dot is off". You will realign your sights, form, etc.. and things will fall back into place.

It carries great!

Just as Ol'Coot and Earle8888 have added, it is a great tool. Excellent for practice. I have tried what Earle8888 suggested - to use the CTL without the sights. In a defensive situation, this benefit is a no brainer....true point and shoot. If you have bad eyes, can't see the sights well for some reason, too dark, etc... this CTL is a blessing.

Speaking of the cat...I had my PM40 out with me in the woods during this deer season. Just before dark, a bunny hopped out at 40 yards and let me play.

Please feel free to blame me, but before you make your final decision, go to the Crimson Trace web site and order their free DVD. That will sell you for sure. Every benefit they advertise is true, plus some.

Good luck.
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Save the plastic and the wait for the DVD. You can view the entire DVD on youtube. Here is a link for part 1 of the 4 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCum...60938&index=18

BTW, I also have the CT unit on my CW9. Helped alot.

Anyone know if my P40 would still fit in my Crosstuck IWB holster with a CTL?

Anyone know if my P40 would still fit in my Crosstuck IWB holster with a CTL?
    I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer. They can advise you.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

The lasers can be helpful in learning where you're aiming using the sights. I used my Bushnell Laser Boresighter to check out my Springfield's sights because they were shooting about 4" low at 7 yards. I verified that at 15 feet in my living room using the boresighter. The front sight is too tall. Without a front sight, the pistol would shoot dead on with the top of the slide at the front sitting on top of the rear post, which makes the front sight more than useless, as it's in the way of what I'm aiming at.
    It's a great way to practice keeping the gun steady during trigger pull.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".